Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Last year, I did 4 AS levels at college however I acted like a massive knob did not work and left with BEUU, I've now transferred colleges and am redoing my first year however I'm only doing 3 AS's this time I should achieve 3 A's this year and my E from last year is a different subject so I can use that in my application I think, will the fact I'm only doing 3 this year and have festa stop me from being given an offer from some of the better unis I was hoping to apply for eg Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh. I'm hoping to study some form of maths or engineering degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyGardener)
    Last year, I did 4 AS levels at college however I acted like a massive knob did not work and left with BEUU, I've now transferred colleges and am redoing my first year however I'm only doing 3 AS's this time I should achieve 3 A's this year and my E from last year is a different subject so I can use that in my application I think, will the fact I'm only doing 3 this year and have festa stop me from being given an offer from some of the better unis I was hoping to apply for eg Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh. I'm hoping to study some form of maths or engineering degree.
    Meant resat not festa ahah

ReputationRep:
    Retakes aren't ideal, but if you do well this year you still have a decent chance of getting good offers. You will need to list your E grade on your application, and this year UCAS makes it clear you also need to list any U grades at AS/A-level on your application.

Ultimately, getting offers from a university is a competitive process, and if you are up against people with similar grades than you without retakes or 4 AS levels, you're obviously not going to be the preferred option. However, having good GCSEs, reference and personal statement will strengthen your application. If you apply for maths, you may also be asked to take the STEP test, and a good score in this may help you.

Depending on the grades you get this year, as sensible strategy would be applying to two more aspirational universities (E.G. Manchester and Leeds), another, slightly lower option, say asking for around the ABB level, and then two back up options, one of which you might want to use as your insurance.

ReputationRep:
    further to slowerincognitos excellent advice I don't think these unis require step but its best to check fully yourself. many of the top unis do require further maths or step or sometimes offer higher grades if these are not taken. I believe this applies to Cambridge warwick imperial oxford lse ucl bath Bristol lancaster and durham. there are a couple of others. it is important to check the entry requirements for this BEFORE applying. As examples Durham insist on further maths unless your school does not provide it when they expect as further maths to be taken independently. imperial insist on both. Lancaster make lower offers if further maths is taken. most top unis either offer A*A*A or A*AA as their general offer. help on further maths can be obtained from the further maths support programme

ReputationRep:
    Im taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics this year so I will have the Further Maths as level.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and info I'll look more into the individual universities now. Cheers again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics this year so I will have the Further Maths as level.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and info I'll look more into the individual universities now. Cheers again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    good luck and i'm glad you are taking further maths as it keeps open more options. step is basically required by a very small select group of unis. durham Exeter and lancaster dont require it and bath and i believe bristol make higher offers if you don't do it. minimum offers are A*AA for Durham Bath Bristol and Exeter and AAB for Lancaster with further maths although Bristol and Exeter offer a contextual offer of AAB if you meet the conditions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.