Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chances that my English language grade will increase after a re-mark? watch

ReputationRep:
    I did English language in November (aqa) and i got an A:

I got 54 marks in the exam and an A* is 58 marks. How likely is it that I will gain 4 marks to get an A*
    Any one have any successful re-mark stories?

ReputationRep:
    Posted on TheStudentRoom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STUDYREVISE)
    Hi,
    my remark story was unfortunately not a success. I was 3 marks off an A in my GCSE AQA French and it only went up by a mark.
    but that is French. English is a subject where unless you've written absolute nonsense, there is a pretty fair chance you'll get the marks. Clearly since you've got an A grade already, I think you have a pretty good chance of getting an A*!
    For me, I had to pay for the remark myself. It cost me £130 and I didn't have a good outcome at all. of course, naturally I was gutted but you will be even more gutted if you don't go for a remark because you wouldn't know. There is no yes or no answer as to whether the remark will be a success or not, but have hope because English is something that can definitely go up.
    I sat my English literature exam last year, my teacher giving me an A in my controlled assessment. it was sent off to the board and went up to an A*. I then got 2 A*s in my exams so I came out with an A*. I say you have a pretty fair chance.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for your honesty. Yes i'll be getting it back soon, i hope it does change, if not, I'm happy with an A.
    Ouch £130 is pretty steep, but yes it's better that you know tbh, why is it so much though?
    Glad you did well for your English Lit ca though! :grin:
    It really does

ReputationRep:
    When I took my GCSEs, I was so close to getting that A* in 2 of my exams - so I chose to get both my Latin and Chemistry papers remarked. Unbelievable, they found the extra 1 mark in my Latin paper and more astonishingly, 8 extra marks in Chemistry so both grades went up to the A*.
    So basically, go for the remark! You're not going to regret getting a definitive answer to whether or not you deserve an A*.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky... - Michael Scott"

ReputationRep:
    Posted on TheStudentRoom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frappé)
    I did English language in November (aqa) and i got an A:

I got 54 marks in the exam and an A* is 58 marks. How likely is it that I will gain 4 marks to get an A*
    From what you have said I think you are mentioning the raw marks rather than the UMS, so you're after 12 UMS. Unless there seems to be a definite problem with the marking then I'd say your chances were very small. If you are 12 UMS off an A* then you are only 9 UMS off a B. I wouldn't try it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response. I think it was something like 9UMS and true but i've done the exam before and got an A previously so even if it dropped to a B I have secured a definate A.
    Yeah I still got an A, it was quite unlikely tbh. Happy with it though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.