Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I have to choose my A Levels for next year and I'm unsure whether I should do french or not. The problem is I have a stammer and it affects me quite a bit sometimes. I'm on course for A or A* in GCSE and i done well on my speaking assessments because of my good memory. In french classes I don't volunteer and i try avoiding speaking because I'm not so confident. Yet I still love the language and their culture so should I take it? I'm defo taking chemistry biology and English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    Woah, your subject choices are really similar to mine! I'm in year 12 and I take Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Spanish, only difference being the spanish ofc. I have a lot of friends that do French and they hardly understand the language but they find it okay. I'd say if you enjoy the language and will be happy to revise for it a lot if you want good grades, then I don't see why not. If you want to get a feel for what it's like, you could always look at some AQA French textbooks or past papers to reckon if you think it isn't that bad. Although in my spanish class, almost everyone volunteers since the teachers at sixth do not approve of anyone not participating in class but that might be just according to my school :P Good luck if you decide to go with French though!

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightShroud99)
    Woah, your subject choices are really similar to mine! I'm in year 12 and I take Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Spanish, only difference being the spanish ofc. I have a lot of friends that do French and they hardly understand the language but they find it okay. I'd say if you enjoy the language and will be happy to revise for it a lot if you want good grades, then I don't see why not. If you want to get a feel for what it's like, you could always look at some AQA French textbooks or past papers to reckon if you think it isn't that bad. Although in my spanish class, almost everyone volunteers since the teachers at sixth do not approve of anyone not participating in class but that might be just according to my school :P Good luck if you decide to go with French though!
    Hey! Thanks so much for that! Of course I enjoy it. And I really wanna learn it. But my stammer will have a profound affect of course. How much speaking does everyone do each lesson? And the problem is I heard you have to be fluent in speaking and for me obviously that will be an issue :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irfan_blue)
    Hey! Thanks so much for that! Of course I enjoy it. And I really wanna learn it. But my stammer will have a profound affect of course. How much speaking does everyone do each lesson? And the problem is I heard you have to be fluent in speaking and for me obviously that will be an issue :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're definitely right in saying that your stammer will affect you (no doubt), but you by no means have to be fluent in languages to do well at them at AS. In terms of speaking, the teacher picks on all the students in a kind of cycle to try and see if they're on track and understand the subject matter. If you do things that will better your fluency in French then it will better your confidence and hopefully get you the grade you want. You can do this by listening to French radio stations online or songs in French, maybe read a news article in French every day/week? Currently, the Reading, Writing and Listening are packed into one exam which counts for 70% of the AS whilst the speaking only attributes to 30% of the AS. Constantly learning French might even make you better than a native speaker!

From
    - A Native spanish speaker doing AS spanish

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.