Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I was studying for my mock psychology paper tomorrow and I had to learn about prosocial behaviour. Do you people actually believe prosocial behaviour exists?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it does, yes... Often related to making a good impression, but not always.

Often motivated/driven by public situations and other people (e.g. making higher donations if other people are watching), reciprocating favours, cooperation, forgiveness, conformity (arguably?).

Altruism or egotism though? I'd say there can probably be a bit of both, but it depends. I'd argue that altruism is often driven by empathy(?), xo wanting to help/comfort/etc to reduce other people's upset. But on the other hand, there is the argument that it's not necessrily altruistic if people are helping to ease their own distress at seeing somebody suffering (but I don't think there's so much support for this).

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to disagree because prosocial behaviour is basically helping others without any obvious benefits to the person himself. That being said there is that amount of satisfaction a person gets from helping others right? Isn't that a benefit? Or does it only include material benefits?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'd probably use a different definition of prosocial behaviour. I'd say altruism is helping others without any obvious benefits to the individual, but I would argue that pro-social behaviour is doing something that is good for other people or for society as a whole in general, no matter what the reasoning.

I think the satisfaction from helping others is a benefit to the self still, but I think behaviour can still be altruistic. I don't think altruism only includes material benefits, but I think that behaviour can be altruistic even if it does result in satisfaction to the individual;

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 16, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.