Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Most People Petty/Gossipy, Even Adults? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I expected that people in the working world etc. would be more mature but they aren't

A lot of adults are so petty (both genders) and gossip about/say stupid things like "that client looks old" or "that co-worker is weird" or "Spanish people look like wrinkled prunes past 30". These are people in their 30s, 40s, 50s even.

Is this standard no matter where you go? Or do I just work with immature people?

Example: We had a new girl at work last week who sits next to me, one of the girls in my department went up to her and said "you look nice" and she responded "thanks, you too" and introduced herself. I then heard the girl from my department go over to another girl in the workplace and start whispering about new girl (I heard her name mentioned loads of times) and giggling in her direction even though she acted normally. These are grown women in their 20s and having worked with the new girl she is fine.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll always find peeps like this wherever you go unfortunately 😕 my nan lives in an elderly people community thing and you wouldn't believe the amount of gossip which goes on, some people are over 100

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channies)
    I think you'll always find peeps like this wherever you go unfortunately ������ my nan lives in an elderly people community thing and you wouldn't believe the amount of gossip which goes on, some people are over 100
    Thanks, so the majority of adults are like this? It's not that I cant deal with it just that I find it annoying TBH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryDn)
    Thanks, so the majority of adults are like this? It's not that I cant deal with it just that I find it annoying TBH
    Yes very much so. It gets even worse when it feeds into workplace politics and abuse of position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryDn)
    The people you work with sound like absolute idiots.
    also i've noticed this being more common with English people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    Yes very much so. It gets even worse when it feeds into workplace politics and abuse of position.
    Oh I see So it's more common in the workplace? I have a few friends outside work in their 30s etc. too and TBH they often behave in a similar way...

(Original post by Lionheart96)
    The people you work with sound like absolute idiots.
    also i've noticed this being more common with English people

Yep I thought the way the new girl's treated was unfair

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but tbh I had a few jobs before that were full of "working class" people (for lack of better term) and they were actually more down to earth..

ReputationRep:
    You're just unlucky. Classy people do exist, they're out there... somewhere far away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illegal Algebra)
    You're just unlucky. Classy people do exist, they're out there... somewhere far away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you started work yet?

Hopefully

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.