Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I am hoping to apply for a PGCE this September in primary school teaching! However, my degree will be in nursing. I have all my GCSE's, but I'm just a bit worried as my degree obviously isn't related to the national curriculum.

Has anybody gained a place on a PGCE course with a degree totally unrelated to teaching?

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, im currently on a pgce secondary in it and computer science. My degree was in classical civilisations and my masters was in field archaeology. Its only because ive got 7 years industry experience in computing that i got on the course. But certainly dont have a relevant degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondeambition21)
    Hi!

I am hoping to apply for a PGCE this September in primary school teaching! However, my degree will be in nursing. I have all my GCSE's, but I'm just a bit worried as my degree obviously isn't related to the national curriculum.

Has anybody gained a place on a PGCE course with a degree totally unrelated to teaching?
    You'd be surprised at how a seemingly un-related degree can relate to the classroom. Look carefully at the modules you've studied. You're likely to have used key skills like literacy, numeracy, team-work, resilience, time-management etc. that are all relevant to teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veggiechic6)
    You'd be surprised at how a seemingly un-related degree can relate to the classroom. Look carefully at the modules you've studied. You're likely to have used key skills like literacy, numeracy, team-work, resilience, time-management etc. that are all relevant to teaching.
    Ahh thank you. This makes me feel a bit better! I'm just worried about learning the whole of the national curriculum, will it be a lot harder for me as I'm not coming from an "academic" type degree?

ReputationRep:
    I think parents will love having you looking after their little "darlings"! My degree is in psychology, I've had an offer so it was sufficient

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawnus)
    I think parents will love having you looking after their little "darlings"! My degree is in psychology, I've had an offer so it was sufficient
    Oh that's good! Hopefully it wont be too much of a problem. How much work experience would you recommend gaining before putting in an application? Also, have you started the course yet? I'm worried about learning everything again, especially Geography and Maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondeambition21)
    Oh that's good! Hopefully it wont be too much of a problem. How much work experience would you recommend gaining before putting in an application? Also, have you started the course yet? I'm worried about learning everything again, especially Geography and Maths!
    I start next September, just completed my skills tests.
    I spent a week observing a primary school last summer, and on Saturdays I volunteer as a tutor at an education club. I work full time so that is the best way for me to get age appropriate experience.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    My degree was in Computing,
    I don't think they pay much attention to what your degree is in, just so long as you have one! I agree with Veggiechic6- there are parts of every degree that are relevant to teaching- those key skills are what you need!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemscho)
    Hello,
    My degree was in Computing,
    I don't think they pay much attention to what your degree is in, just so long as you have one! I agree with Veggiechic6- there are parts of every degree that are relevant to teaching- those key skills are what you need!
    Hey, that will come in handy with the relaunched "Computing" subject.

ReputationRep:
    My degree is in Drama and I got a conditional offer this week for Primary. As everyone else has said just try and relate how your skills gained from your degree are transferable to teaching. Also I found they seemed to like if you mention how you could use it for extra curricular activities, so maybe you could run a first aid course for the children? I said I'd wanna run some sort of performing arts club and help run school productions ☺

ReputationRep:
    My BA is in history and my MA is in classics, which is handy when you're going for secondary history

However my friend has been accepted onto a primary PGCE with a solely classics background, and to be honest with you I think nursing would give you just as many, if not more, transferable skills for primary teaching than his degree has given him.

ReputationRep:
    My BA is in Law & Politics and I've got an interview next week (eek!) for a citizenship PGCE, so it is quite related to the subject. However I agree with everyone else, you will have masses of skills that can be transferred to teaching. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English and History

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.