Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about how to earn money

If I could buy some cheap decrepit properties, and turn them into bedsits, I would rent them out to skilled immigrants that have learnt a trade (either in college in the UK, or in their home country).

The key is, if they live in my flats the deal is that I am using them as part of a 24hr services company, such as mechanic, plumber, handyman, gardener, housekeeping etc..

I am basically their employer as well as their landlord.

So on the last day of the month I pay them their wages. The first day of the month, they pay me their rent.

I would make money from the income from the services that the immigrants provide for my company.

The immigrants (only skilled ones) would get a roof over their head, and I allow them to "earn a wage" and pay tax etc, whereas I could easily make back my original investment on my decrepit property (say 500k).

But is this legal? Or just slavery?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you think these skilled workers would agree to those conditions?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this just the same as people working abroad in exchange for accommodation and food with a small wage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Why would you think these skilled workers would agree to those conditions?
    It's either this, or a war zone. Their choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channies)
    Isn't this just the same as people working abroad in exchange for accommodation and food with a small wage?
    No, as this way I am the one earning the wage.

I could never lose money, as the money I give them as wages, they give straight back to me for rent. Or I evict them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    No, as this way I am the one earning the wage.

I could never lose money, as the money I give them as wages, they give straight back to me for rent. Or I evict them.
    Well do they get food?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.