Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Concerned about my future - Did I choose the wrong degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I am writing this post in the hopes I can get some advice on a few concerns I have about University and specifically, my course.

In the months leading up to choosing what degree I'd like to do at University I was really unsure. I felt I little rushed for a decision and decided to choose Biology just because I enjoy it, and that it is technically a STEM degree. But didn't put much thought into what kind of career that'd set me up for.

So now I have sent off my UCAS application and I received back 4 of my offers to study Biology at university.

Having done more research into those who have done Biology degree's have thought of there degree I am very, very worried. It seems that a degree in Biology is near worthless unless I go on for a further academic degree, or maybe try to apply for post-graduate Dentistry or something.

As a result of all this, I am now thinking I would rather do something that can set me up for a career in the future such as Computer Science, which I am quite interested in.

But as it stands right now, I feel trapped as I have already applied through UCAS...

Am I doomed to have to wait to apply next year?
    Am I overreacting about the quality of a potential Biology degree?
    If I speak to one of my university admissions offices is there any chance in the world I could switch to something like Computer Science? Even though I haven't even started at University yet..

Really appreciate all and any help.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by throwaway2015)
    Hey there,

I am writing this post in the hopes I can get some advice on a few concerns I have about University and specifically, my course.

In the months leading up to choosing what degree I'd like to do at University I was really unsure. I felt I little rushed for a decision and decided to choose Biology just because I enjoy it, and that it is technically a STEM degree. But didn't put much thought into what kind of career that'd set me up for.

So now I have sent off my UCAS application and I received back 4 of my offers to study Biology at university.

Having done more research into those who have done Biology degree's have thought of there degree I am very, very worried. It seems that a degree in Biology is near worthless unless I go on for a further academic degree, or maybe try to apply for post-graduate Dentistry or something.

As a result of all this, I am now thinking I would rather do something that can set me up for a career in the future such as Computer Science, which I am quite interested in.

But as it stands right now, I feel trapped as I have already applied through UCAS...

Am I doomed to have to wait to apply next year?
    Am I overreacting about the quality of a potential Biology degree?
    If I speak to one of my university admissions offices is there any chance in the world I could switch to something like Computer Science? Even though I haven't even started at University yet..

Really appreciate all and any help.
    Thanks
    There are biology related careers out there- there are lots of jobs available in research, for example. This doesn't always have to involve further study, although this can benefit your career. If your chosen degrees have modules in areas like ecology, there are multiple companies which have grad schemes available for ecology consultancy. There are also various careers within the pharmaceutical industry.

Equally, there are a wide range of careers where no specific degree is required, and as biology is a relatively respected subject, it may be useful in a variety of areas.

However, if you think you would enjoy computer science more, then that's fair enough. At this stage, you could contact your universities directly. However, computer science admissions are likely to be dealt with by separate people, and you would not be guaranteed a place. Do you meet the entry requirements for CompSci at your chosen universities?

However, at this time it's quite common to have doubts about what you have chosen to do at uni. If you asked to switch, then later wanted to switch back, this would not impress prospective universities, so you do need to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    There are biology related careers out there- there are lots of jobs available in research, for example. This doesn't always have to involve further study, although this can benefit your career. If your chosen degrees have modules in areas like ecology, there are multiple companies which have grad schemes available for ecology consultancy. There are also various careers within the pharmaceutical industry.

Equally, there are a wide range of careers where no specific degree is required, and as biology is a relatively respected subject, it may be useful in a variety of areas.

However, if you think you would enjoy computer science more, then that's fair enough. At this stage, you could contact your universities directly. However, computer science admissions are likely to be dealt with by separate people, and you would not be guaranteed a place. Do you meet the entry requirements for CompSci at your chosen universities?

However, at this time it's quite common to have doubts about what you have chosen to do at uni. If you asked to switch, then later wanted to switch back, this would not impress prospective universities, so you do need to be sure.
    First of all, thanks a lot for the response.

Two of my chosen universities are Uni of Reading and Uni of Kent.
    They have both made me offers of ABC and BBB respectively. On looking at their Computer Science course it seems they are both asking for ABB which is 1 grade above my predicted.

Given that information, I would have to look elsewhere at other Universities who offer Computer Science, right? I don't think I am capable of achieving ABB this year as my ABC prediction is already fairly generous (really struggling with Chemistry).

Should I just see how I feel in May about Biology when I need to make a decision on my firms and such? And if I feel I still don't want to do Biology apply next year?
    Is there any point in me emailing my University admissions office with my issue given that I am fairly certain I couldn't get ABB.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    First of all, thanks a lot for the response.

Two of my chosen universities are Uni of Reading and Uni of Kent.
    They have both made me offers of ABC and BBB respectively. On looking at their Computer Science course it seems they are both asking for ABB which is 1 grade above my predicted.

Given that information, I would have to look elsewhere at other Universities who offer Computer Science, right? I don't think I am capable of achieving ABB this year as my ABC prediction is already fairly generous (really struggling with Chemistry).

Should I just see how I feel in May about Biology when I need to make a decision on my firms and such? And if I feel I still don't want to do Biology apply next year?
    Is there any point in me emailing my University admissions office with my issue given that I am fairly certain I couldn't get ABB.

Thanks again
    If you don't feel that you could get ABB, and ABC is likely to be a stretch for you, there's not much point in asking to change your offer to the CompSci course at this stage. If you were to miss the offer by two grades, your chances of being accepted would be very low.

I think it's a good idea to wait and see. You could even wait and see what results you get, and see if it's possible to switch on results day. In the meantime, you could research biology careers and see if any appeal to you. There are options out there, especially if you're able to get work experience whilst at uni.

Also, do check you meet the subject specific requirements for the Computer Science courses- some will ask for a specific grade in maths, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    If you don't feel that you could get ABB, and ABC is likely to be a stretch for you, there's not much point in asking to change your offer to the CompSci course at this stage. If you were to miss the offer by two grades, your chances of being accepted would be very low.

I think it's a good idea to wait and see. You could even wait and see what results you get, and see if it's possible to switch on results day. In the meantime, you could research biology careers and see if any appeal to you. There are options out there, especially if you're able to get work experience whilst at uni.

Also, do check you meet the subject specific requirements for the Computer Science courses- some will ask for a specific grade in maths, for example.
    Okay

Thank you so much for the advice, I really feel as if I have some sort of game plan now.

You're awesome, have a great day

ReputationRep:
    Okay

Thank you so much for the advice, I really feel as if I have some sort of game plan now.

You're awesome, have a great day
    I'm glad I've helped and good luck with the future.

My degree was within the area of biology (animal behaviour and welfare) and I do know people with biology and related degrees who have recently got jobs in relevant fields, so it is possible to make a career and, as you progress, even to be relatively well paid if you have the right skills.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.