Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so usually our school does a two week period of work experience during spring term but now our school policy has changed and we can no longer do work experience as part of the curriculum but I was wondering if I should do work experience during the Easter holiday anyway but I'm not sure if it would be beneficial or a waste of time, any advice?

ReputationRep:
    This happened to my school a while back, did they tell you why they scrapped it? I mean, they shouldn't just say 'its a policy change' and expect you to be happy with this.
    Do you have some careers manager or something at your school because i'm sure they would be happy to point you in the direction you need to get decent work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WIFIchaser)
    Ok so usually our school does a two week period of work experience during spring term but now our school policy has changed and we can no longer do work experience as part of the curriculum but I was wondering if I should do work experience during the Easter holiday anyway but I'm not sure if it would be beneficial or a waste of time, any advice?
    My school doesn't do work experience (so annoying) - too much hassle with paperwork or something. And there's boarders so that complicates things. :/

They still want us to do work experience anyways - like in our longer than usual summer - our Head of Year says that if we're having trouble finding work experience she'll help etc. And she also said that she could provide a reference if we needed one.

So yeah, still do work experience, it's useful for working out what you want to do after uni / at uni etc. Do it after the GCSEs in the long summer or something - perhaps ask your school to provide a reference - if there is no longer an official work experience, I'm sure they wouldn't be able to deny you this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WIFIchaser)
    We didn't have work experience in our school

ReputationRep:
    Id go for the work experience. It will look good on cvs but its also just a good thing for you to do.
    In all honesty your not missing out on much because your school stopped it. Personally I really enjoyed mine. Met lots of nice people and did interesting stuff. But it wasn't related to what I wanted to do in the future at the time. It was fun but not really useful

ReputationRep:
    This has happened to me too. I'm currently in the process of arranging work experience at a small solicitors' firm that'll take place over the long Summer. This could be a blessing in disguise, at it shows to unis/employers that you've got the initiative to organise your own work experience, rather than relying on the school to do it for you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.