Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A ship towed at constant speed by two tugboats, each pulling the ship with a force of 9kN. The angle between tugboat cables is 40 degrees.

A) calculate the resultant force on the ship due to the two cables
    B)calculate the drag force on the ship

ReputationRep:
    What help do you want with this question?
    A suggestion is to draw a diagram.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    What help do you want with this question?
    A suggestion is to draw a diagram.
    I want help answering the questions:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikirab)
    I want help answering the questions:

Do you have any ideas that you think you should use? Have you made any progress or working so far?

ReputationRep:
    A ship towed at constant speed by two tugboats, each pulling the ship with a force of 9kN. The angle between tugboat cables is 40 degrees.

You need to draw a diagram- have you seen diagrams with forces labelled on? Once you've drawn the diagram, most of this will be quite easy (assuming you know how to resolve forces, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lerjj)
    You need to draw a diagram- have you seen diagrams with forces labelled on? Once you've drawn the diagram, most of this will be quite easy (assuming you know how to resolve forces, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it)
    there is a diagram in the text book. I used Pythagoras is that correct? but I couldn't get the right answers

ReputationRep:
    there is a diagram in the text book. I used Pythagoras is that correct? but I couldn't get the right answers
    Yes, you need to add the component of each force that is acting to move the boat forwards.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think you can do it using Pythagoras. To find the total pull you just need to add: resolve both vectors horizontally and vertically and add components- hopefully you can work out a (slightly) quicker way to do it in this situation from the diagram.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lerjj)
    Don't think you can do it using Pythagoras. To find the total pull you just need to add: resolve both vectors horizontally and vertically and add components- hopefully you can work out a (slightly) quicker way to do it in this situation from the diagram.
    Vertical components will cancel. Therefore you only need to add horizontal components.

ReputationRep:
    Vertical components will cancel. Therefore you only need to add horizontal components.
    You're not the thread starter...

ReputationRep:
    What is the answer the mark scheme has put down? I would've thought trigonometry and vector addition would get you the right answer.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to see a diagram to get my head around it

ReputationRep:
    Trig and vector addition does answer it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (2)(9)(10^3)\cos 20

ReputationRep:
    Trig and vector addition does answer it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (2)(9)(10^3)\cos 20
    exactly what I did too

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 13, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.