Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,i am making a research about citizens duties,and i want to know your opinion.what is your duty as a citizen in England? Tell me anything.

ReputationRep:
    Pay tax due.

Jury service.

ReputationRep:
    Knowing what a crumpet is and understanding how the scores work in cricket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Knowing what a crumpet is and understanding how the scores work in cricket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    You're forgiven on the grounds of being from a county too covered in hills to hold a respectable game.

ReputationRep:
    You're forgiven on the grounds of being from a county too covered in hills to hold a respectable game.
    May the curse of Fred Trueman and Geoff Boycott be upon you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    It's OK, you're a girl. You don't need to know about the offside rule either.

Just so long as you know how to make a decent urn of tea and a plate of cucumber sandwiches, that'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    It's OK, you're a girl. You don't need to know about the offside rule either.

Just so long as you know how to make a decent urn of tea and a plate of cucumber sandwiches, that'll be fine.
    Haven't been a girl for ages. Hate tea and cucumber, and know the off side rule as it's a thing I get kids to tell me to learn how to explain things clearly. I don't know why it's important, though.

ReputationRep:
    blaming immigrants

ReputationRep:
    Standing on the shoreline fending immigrants off with a shovel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harvey Dent)
    Standing on the shoreline fending immigrants off with a shovel.
    . and why ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oumaima1)
    . and why ?
    To stop them tainting and despoiling our great nation.

ReputationRep:
    To stop them tainting and despoiling our great nation.
    And why are you generalizing? Many immigrants had served your "great"nation ,and still doing..I am not british,i don t live in UK..but i would like to say one thing,the mix of cultures you have in your country is a gift,but i think besides the freedom of expression,everyone should respect the culture of the other ..if you want to insult a religion,do it with yourself or with other people,but don t intimidate people by sharing in public,this violence towards thé other,and surely the other will react with violence..I am not justifying Smth,but i think Charlie and the guys who killed him both are totally wrong,and the guys are even wronger.By the way,when you ask for immigrants to leave your country,ask first your politicians to stop interferring in the arab world's issues and leave us,they destroyed Palestine,Egypt,Syria..and the list is long.

ReputationRep:
    And why are you generalizing? Many immigrants had served your "great"nation ,and still doing..I am not british,i don t live in UK..but i would like to say one thing,the mix of cultures you have in your country is a gift,but i think besides the freedom of expression,everyone should respect the culture of the other ..if you want to insult a religion,do it with yourself or with other people,but don t intimidate people by sharing in public,this violence towards thé other,and surely the other will react with violence..I am not justifying Smth,but i think Charlie and the guys who killed him both are totally wrong,and the guys are even wronger.By the way,when you ask for immigrants to leave your country,ask first your politicians to stop interferring in the arab world's issues and leave us,they destroyed Palestine,Egypt,Syria..and the list is long.
    Wow, I guess sarcasm truly is dead.

ReputationRep:
    I would guess that her grasp of English wasn't really up to the job of identifying sarcasm. That last post was not exactly what I'd call well written.

ReputationRep:
    lol,y ou can 't even argue anything i Said!it's the truth !Stop watching a lot of TV btw

ReputationRep:
    I would guess that her grasp of English wasn't really up to the job of identifying sarcasm. That last post was not exactly what I'd call well written.
    I suspect you're right, although it's still pretty good. The most I can do in another language is some German, and that's terrible.

ReputationRep:
    lol,y ou can 't even argue anything i Said!it's the truth !Stop watching a lot of TV btw
    It's very obviously sarcasm, as is the "blaming immigrants" comment above. It's a form of humour.

ReputationRep:
    Other than the legal ****, I'm not obligated to do bugger all.

Drinking a good amount of tea :tea:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.