Edexcel Physics Practical - NEXT WEEK

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Datura
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
As I'm sure a lot of you will know the edexcel Physics practical exam takes place next week.

What are you doing to prepare for it and how do you think you will do?
The Albatross
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I hope i'll do ok . I'm preparing by doing loads of practice practicals, and by revising units 4 & 5 esp the experiments. which one r u doing. I'm doing the Friday one.
Resonance
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm doing it, on the Friday as well. I botched the AS prac last year so until I did some mocks recently I didn't feel good about this exam at all. I will try my best.

I made a list of all the syllabus experiments from all 4 proper modules (Topics doesn't count) and I am revising / will revise that.
Datura
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I haven't been told which day, due to incompetent Physics teachers. I'm a bit worried about it because I didn't have a physics leason till january (see reasons above) as a result my physics has been struggling a bit this year.
jyuk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm doing it on Weds. In the morning. Should go alright. Mine's for AS.
Emma Louise
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bebop)
As I'm sure a lot of you will know the edexcel Physics practical exam takes place next week.

What are you doing to prepare for it and how do you think you will do?
Not worrying about it... yet! Just gonna try and do very well in PHY5 written and PHY6!
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am currently in denial about both my physics practical next friday and also spanish oral the monday after. I should probably be reading through my notes though and learning some formulae (for physics obviously)
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Good luck to all of you doing your practicals. Make sure you know how to use micrometers and vernier callipers and how to calculate percentage differences and all the rest of the error stuff you do at A Level. Also, you're never given any equiment you won't need. In one of our mock practicals, we had an experiment to do with resistor combinations and they gave us a really short lead that hardly anyone used. It was meant for shorting the middle resistor..
Bezza
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
In one of our mock practicals, we had an experiment to do with resistor combinations and they gave us a really short lead that hardly anyone used. It was meant for shorting the middle resistor..
Why would you short a resistor? A capacitor, yes, but a resistor? :confused:
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
Why would you short a resistor? A capacitor, yes, but a resistor? :confused:
I can't remember what the experiment was exactly, but you had several resistors and I think you had do something with all the possible combinations of them (so if there were 5, you'd short the middle one to have a combination of the 2 on the left of it and the 2 on the right). I know what I mean, lol .
Bezza
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
I can't remember what the experiment was exactly, but you had several resistors and I think you had do something with all the possible combinations of them (so if there were 5, you'd short the middle one to have a combination of the 2 on the left of it and the 2 on the right). I know what I mean, lol .
OK, I understand now - I thought you meant just connecting the 2 ends of a resistor - couldn't see much happening there!
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
OK, I understand now - I thought you meant just connecting the 2 ends of a resistor - couldn't see much happening there!
Oh, lol. Sorry .
mathematician
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i got both practicals,
u cant really revise for phy 3, just make sure u know how circuits work, know your formuale, know how to use equip and know how the I-V curves r like for diodes etc.
for phy 5, well, know EVERYTHING!!!
last yrs practical was easy for phy5 so this time will prob be harder
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Last year's had that stupid diffraction grating and orange liquidy stuff I think. I got quite stuck with that. Can't remember what the other one was though.. think it was something to do with a rheostat.
mathematician
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
in the mock tht was the onlee bit i didnt do
didnt have time
but it werent worth too much
i aint got a clue about uncertainities
im going over them tomos wit teacher.wot grade is everyone on for physics at the minute ?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (70)
47.3%
Take exams next summer (26)
17.57%
Change uni choice through clearing (34)
22.97%
Apply to uni next year instead (14)
9.46%
I'm not applying to university (4)
2.7%

Watched Threads