Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As I'm sure a lot of you will know the edexcel Physics practical exam takes place next week.

What are you doing to prepare for it and how do you think you will do?

ReputationRep:
    I hope i'll do ok . I'm preparing by doing loads of practice practicals, and by revising units 4 & 5 esp the experiments. which one r u doing. I'm doing the Friday one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it, on the Friday as well. I botched the AS prac last year so until I did some mocks recently I didn't feel good about this exam at all. I will try my best.

I made a list of all the syllabus experiments from all 4 proper modules (Topics doesn't count) and I am revising / will revise that.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been told which day, due to incompetent Physics teachers. I'm a bit worried about it because I didn't have a physics leason till january (see reasons above) as a result my physics has been struggling a bit this year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it on Weds. In the morning. Should go alright. Mine's for AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebop)
    As I'm sure a lot of you will know the edexcel Physics practical exam takes place next week.

What are you doing to prepare for it and how do you think you will do?
    Not worrying about it... yet! Just gonna try and do very well in PHY5 written and PHY6!

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in denial about both my physics practical next friday and also spanish oral the monday after. I should probably be reading through my notes though and learning some formulae (for physics obviously)

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to all of you doing your practicals. Make sure you know how to use micrometers and vernier callipers and how to calculate percentage differences and all the rest of the error stuff you do at A Level. Also, you're never given any equiment you won't need. In one of our mock practicals, we had an experiment to do with resistor combinations and they gave us a really short lead that hardly anyone used. It was meant for shorting the middle resistor..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    In one of our mock practicals, we had an experiment to do with resistor combinations and they gave us a really short lead that hardly anyone used. It was meant for shorting the middle resistor..
    Why would you short a resistor? A capacitor, yes, but a resistor? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    Why would you short a resistor? A capacitor, yes, but a resistor? :confused:
    I can't remember what the experiment was exactly, but you had several resistors and I think you had do something with all the possible combinations of them (so if there were 5, you'd short the middle one to have a combination of the 2 on the left of it and the 2 on the right). I know what I mean, lol .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    I can't remember what the experiment was exactly, but you had several resistors and I think you had do something with all the possible combinations of them (so if there were 5, you'd short the middle one to have a combination of the 2 on the left of it and the 2 on the right). I know what I mean, lol .
    OK, I understand now - I thought you meant just connecting the 2 ends of a resistor - couldn't see much happening there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    OK, I understand now - I thought you meant just connecting the 2 ends of a resistor - couldn't see much happening there!
    Oh, lol. Sorry .

ReputationRep:
    i got both practicals,
    u cant really revise for phy 3, just make sure u know how circuits work, know your formuale, know how to use equip and know how the I-V curves r like for diodes etc.
    for phy 5, well, know EVERYTHING!!!
    last yrs practical was easy for phy5 so this time will prob be harder

ReputationRep:
    Last year's had that stupid diffraction grating and orange liquidy stuff I think. I got quite stuck with that. Can't remember what the other one was though.. think it was something to do with a rheostat.

ReputationRep:
    in the mock tht was the onlee bit i didnt do
    didnt have time
    but it werent worth too much
    i aint got a clue about uncertainities
    im going over them tomos wit teacher.wot grade is everyone on for physics at the minute ?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.