Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    So I'm in years 10 doing my GCSEs. As well as that I do in school drama, music and out of school drama as well as the annual musical. I enjoy everything except from 1 band. I would very much like to leave, it doesn't really affect my grades but I really don't enjoy it. I come home and feel like crying, I don't know why, I just hate it. But when I look at Universities they say they look for extra curricular activities, that's why I'm cautious about leaving. As well as the fact that out conductor scares me a bit (don't get me wrong she's really nice). To be precise I take part in two drama clubs, currently doing an extra maths qualification and if I was to leave this band, I would be left doing 2 (having left the junior wind band as I'm too old). Are these enough extra activities or would I be best putting up with band for 2 more years?

Oh, and I plan to study medicine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjo71099)
    Hi everyone
    So I'm in years 10 doing my GCSEs. As well as that I do in school drama, music and out of school drama as well as the annual musical. I enjoy everything except from 1 band. I would very much like to leave, it doesn't really affect my grades but I really don't enjoy it. I come home and feel like crying, I don't know why, I just hate it. But when I look at Universities they say they look for extra curricular activities, that's why I'm cautious about leaving. As well as the fact that out conductor scares me a bit (don't get me wrong she's really nice). To be precise I take part in two drama clubs, currently doing an extra maths qualification and if I was to leave this band, I would be left doing 2 (having left the junior wind band as I'm too old). Are these enough extra activities or would I be best putting up with band for 2 more years?

Oh, and I plan to study medicine!
    If you don't like doing something and you don't have to do it, don't do it! :yep: Why continue if it makes you miserable? You can always join another band sometime down the line if you miss it after all.

WRT uni - yes, they want to see the extra-curricular, but if they ask you about your band and you hate it, they'll see that negativity come through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    If you don't like doing something and you don't have to do it, don't do it! :yep: Why continue if it makes you miserable? You can always join another band sometime down the line if you miss it after all.

WRT uni - yes, they want to see the extra-curricular, but if they ask you about your band and you hate it, they'll see that negativity come through.
    This, this and more this.

To build on what Mikey said, if you can explain more specific reasons as to why you didn't want to be in the band then it will actually look good that you didn't stay! Uni's are more about letting students become their own person, and to see you know what you do and don't watn from your life will make a great impression if you can back it up.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.