Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know if it will be too hard for me as im doing core and additional and i am predicted an A and a B.

I find chemistry the easiest science and i wanted to do either chemistry or computer science at a level as i am predicted a B in ICT(although i have heard they aren't too similar but hey)

can you tell me what grades you got and how your coping and other people without really high grades and how they are as im really stuck deciding

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    I would like to know if it will be too hard for me as im doing core and additional and i am predicted an A and a B.

I find chemistry the easiest science and i wanted to do either chemistry or computer science at a level as i am predicted a B in ICT(although i have heard they aren't too similar but hey)

can you tell me what grades you got and how your coping and other people without really high grades and how they are as im really stuck deciding

thanks
    I did double award at GCSE and took Chemistry at A-level. I didn't feel it was a huge step up, though it was definitely heavier than my other A-levels! You'll catch up with anything you've missed really quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is a nice lean subject at GCSE, but it shows its true form of utter hellfire at A level (might just be me though). I got A's in both Core and Additional and I now study Chemistry at a grammar school and I just got a U in my recent end of unit mock. This doesn't mean that it's that hard, but I just hardly did exam paper practice :/ Still gutted about that grade though, it sucks having A's in Biology and Spanish at A-level but a U in chemistry I find it really straightforward and despite that dreadful U, I really enjoy chemistry at AS level. Choose it if you're willing to revise for it like mad, but do practice rather than reading since I've now realised that my old revision method of reading things doesn't work at all for Chemistry.

Inb4 the comments about laughing at my U

ReputationRep:

thanks
    Doing Chemistry from Double Award Science isn't much harder than from Triple, from what I've heard - it's a step up from both, and there might be a little bit of catchup work but nothing unmanageable. However, doing Chemistry from a B in science could suggest you might struggle. Are you predicted A's in your Chemistry modules? If you are, you should be fine, but if you're predicted B's, you may find it very difficult.

ReputationRep:
    One of the schools nearby my college doesn't allow people to take triple, so a lot of people in my classes took double. I didn't notice a difference in grades between people previously doing double or triple. I think that with work and after a little while studying at A-level, you can make up the difference.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone for the replies

(Original post by LeFailFish)
    Doing Chemistry from Double Award Science isn't much harder than from Triple, from what I've heard - it's a step up from both, and there might be a little bit of catchup work but nothing unmanageable. However, doing Chemistry from a B in science could suggest you might struggle. Are you predicted A's in your Chemistry modules? If you are, you should be fine, but if you're predicted B's, you may find it very difficult.

yeah im predicted As in chemistry and most Biology modules just physics -_- getting Cs maxx but i enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightShroud99)
    Chemistry is a nice lean subject at GCSE, but it shows its true form of utter hellfire at A level (might just be me though). I got A's in both Core and Additional and I now study Chemistry at a grammar school and I just got a U in my recent end of unit mock. This doesn't mean that it's that hard, but I just hardly did exam paper practice :/ Still gutted about that grade though, it sucks having A's in Biology and Spanish at A-level but a U in chemistry I find it really straightforward and despite that dreadful U, I really enjoy chemistry at AS level. Choose it if you're willing to revise for it like mad, but do practice rather than reading since I've now realised that my old revision method of reading things doesn't work at all for Chemistry.

Inb4 the comments about laughing at my U
    oh hmm sounds hard to go from A to U but i guess that maybe it was just ur revision technique but the fact that u got an A in biology do you think i should consider it as it seems significantly easier by ur story because i heard biology theres more to learn but less complicated concepts to understand whereas chemistry is the opposite ..

ReputationRep:
    oh hmm sounds hard to go from A to U but i guess that maybe it was just ur revision technique but the fact that u got an A in biology do you think i should consider it as it seems significantly easier by ur story because i heard biology theres more to learn but less complicated concepts to understand whereas chemistry is the opposite ..
    Well you're right in saying that biology has more content but it might be that I really enjoy biology more than chemistry. Chemistry's concepts are just as easy if not easier to grasp, but practice with the exam questions has been minimal in my experience (only myself to blame by staying on this site). Biology is a nice addition IMO so if you're liking it currently then I would recommend it if you find it easy to get good marks in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightShroud99)
    Well you're right in saying that biology has more content but it might be that I really enjoy biology more than chemistry. Chemistry's concepts are just as easy if not easier to grasp, but practice with the exam questions has been minimal in my experience (only myself to blame by staying on this site). Biology is a nice addition IMO so if you're liking it currently then I would recommend it if you find it easy to get good marks in it.
    hmm maybe what exam boards are u biology for the college i am applying to is edexcel and chemistry is ocr

ReputationRep:
    hmm maybe what exam boards are u biology for the college i am applying to is edexcel and chemistry is ocr
    Biology and Chemistry at my Sixth form are both OCR. It helps to understand the mark scheme seeing as they structure their questions similarly.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on you to be honest, chemistry in A level chem is a very demanding subject but it is not impossible as long as you put the work in, I know that chemistry GCSE is just sissy compared to AS but i got a B in core and A in additional, but i find chemistry at AS is more interesting as it goes into MUCH more detail but do not be fooled chemistry a level is not like gcse the detail that is required needs to be extremely precise. Even though I only got a B and A in GCSE i am consistently getting A's in tests so GCSEs are not really a big reflection on how you will do in A-level. I suggest try and get your hands on on AS chem book and browse through it and see what you think .

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry A Level was definitely a huge step up from GCSE, having done double award too. It also didn't help me that most of the people in my class did Triple Science and got it straight away. I got an A in my GCSE but for the first few exams on A level, I got Us and Es. It was the only subject where I was failing so for my mocks, I decided that I really needed to revise so I did. I did lots and lots of past papers and it really did help. So I think that it's definitely up to you, it is hard but if you put a lot of effort into it, it is definitely possible. You can do it!

ReputationRep:
    I did triple but many of the people in my class did double. In our class the grades don't seem to correlate with the double/triple difference in knowledge. It seems that your grade in A level chemistry will be more dependant on your mindset and the amount of work you put in to your study so you should be very confident that chemistry is the right choice for you as long as you are willing to work to get a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A at gcse and i find chemistry the easiest! Haven't got below 90% yet and chemistry is just great

ReputationRep:

thanks
    At GCSE I got an A grade in Chemistry. I am now doing my AS levels; chemistry being amongst them. Before my transition to A-levels I had frequently asked various people who took Chemistry at A-level how they found it difficulty-wise and if it was enjoyable. The biggest mistake I could have made was listening to the vast majority that would say things like "Chemistry is the hardest A-level", "It's such a huge jump from GCSE Chemistry" and "It's so difficult I'm considering dropping out". These are and were not helpful responses as I started my A-levels with this mindset that Chemistry A-level was going to be the bane of my existence. At the start of the year I'd sit in my classes thinking everything was so complex and I had no hope. Only recently I've decided to take control of my own view on it. Honestly, no A-level is particularly difficult; provided you start with the correct positive mindset. Given, A-levels will be more complex than GCSEs, but the jump is hardly strenuous. So long as you enjoy the subject and are willing to put in the time and effort, you'll be just fine. If you find it easy and enjoyable then I would advise you take it, but I'd take a glimpse at A-level Chemistry past papers just so you can develop an idea of what you'll need to study. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    thanks for replys everyone
    (Original post by francesca_l)
    Chemistry A Level was definitely a huge step up from GCSE, having done double award too. It also didn't help me that most of the people in my class did Triple Science and got it straight away. I got an A in my GCSE but for the first few exams on A level, I got Us and Es. It was the only subject where I was failing so for my mocks, I decided that I really needed to revise so I did. I did lots and lots of past papers and it really did help. So I think that it's definitely up to you, it is hard but if you put a lot of effort into it, it is definitely possible. You can do it!
    and hmm i feel i may get Es and Us at first now

how much practice of past papers and revision did you do and what grade are u at now? has it become easier

and is this everyones hardest a level?

and will being good at maths help in anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llennon_04)
    At GCSE I got an A grade in Chemistry. I am now doing my AS levels; chemistry being amongst them. Before my transition to A-levels I had frequently asked various people who took Chemistry at A-level how they found it difficulty-wise and if it was enjoyable. The biggest mistake I could have made was listening to the vast majority that would say things like "Chemistry is the hardest A-level", "It's such a huge jump from GCSE Chemistry" and "It's so difficult I'm considering dropping out". These are and were not helpful responses as I started my A-levels with this mindset that Chemistry A-level was going to be the bane of my existence. At the start of the year I'd sit in my classes thinking everything was so complex and I had no hope. Only recently I've decided to take control of my own view on it. Honestly, no A-level is particularly difficult; provided you start with the correct positive mindset. Given, A-levels will be more complex than GCSEs, but the jump is hardly strenuous. So long as you enjoy the subject and are willing to put in the time and effort, you'll be just fine. If you find it easy and enjoyable then I would advise you take it, but I'd take a glimpse at A-level Chemistry past papers just so you can develop an idea of what you'll need to study. Hope this helps
    thanks for advice wouldnt say i find it Easy but i understand the majority of it and i find it quite interesting but i just wanted it as a strong AS subject

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE I got a B in chemistry and am doing the as level now and I have to say it's hard and mean hard, it's not a subject you can get away with revising a day before a test it needs commitment and you need to enjoy it. Am like the fifth in my class and in my tests am getting B's and A's but am not getting them grades without trying. I've been staying back till 7 at college some nights trying to get it but this is just me and you might find it easier .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did it and got an B in core and A in additional at GCSE.
    At A-level, it just managed to scrape a B.
    But it all depends on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is hard I got an A* and I'm currently scraping a B.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.