Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Job reference advice situation? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A 2014 grad currently working as a mail sorter for royal mail. I've been there since the beginning of December as part of the extra xmas staff they take on, and they have decided to keep me on permanently due to other staff leaving.

The job is boring, and I get paid £6.50 an hour... It isn't going to get me anywhere soon.

Meanwhile I'm actively searching for other jobs in the city concentrating on the sales/ marketing sector. All will have better pay, ability to gain better working exp, and I will be able to move out of my parents home. Will employers see that I have only been working at RM for a month and a bit and see me as unloyal? Given the opportunity, I will leave this place ASAP. Furthermore, RM will not be happy with me leaving so soon.

So what should I do?
    Not mention I worked here at all. The last job I had before this was 2 months ago, meaning I'd have to explain a 3-4 month gap.
    Or should I mention it - Being quite an unskilled and unrelated job to ones I will be applying for, would they even bother with the reference?

Any advice will be much appreciated - thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by libertatia)
    So long as you have a positive reason for leaving, rather than a negative. You need to frame the story around

1. Hired for Christmas
    2. Kept on as a permanent employee because of quality of my work
    3. Good interim role, but not where skills and career aspirations lie
    4. This job is where I want to be

RM have no say in whether you get a new job or not, so their annoyance is immaterial

Only give details of references when you are asked, they aren't an issue before that. Employers usually only take up references once they are going to offer you the job.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks threeportdrift :-)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.