The Student Room Group

Some Advice about changing course

Hi, im currently doing maths at UCL and im finding it immensely difficult, im at the point where i cant actually do the work. i keep thinking about dropping out and doing an "easier" degree where i can manage the work. id hopefully like to go into Financial Services or IB after and though that MAths was the best degree, i chose to do maths because i didnt know what else to do. i have maths bio and chem with AAA. i dont know if i can apply at other unis whilst im still at my first year at UCL. what im asking i guess is: can i reapply via UCAS whilst in my first year and is there any courses suited that is okish to do, i heard that maths is one of the hardest degrees and its really showing. also i have not done further maths which is a bummer. im just so lost as to what to do.!!
vincent
Hi, im currently doing maths at UCL and im finding it immensely difficult, im at the point where i cant actually do the work. i keep thinking about dropping out and doing an "easier" degree where i can manage the work. id hopefully like to go into Financial Services or IB after and though that MAths was the best degree, i chose to do maths because i didnt know what else to do. i have maths bio and chem with AAA. i dont know if i can apply at other unis whilst im still at my first year at UCL. what im asking i guess is: can i reapply via UCAS whilst in my first year and is there any courses suited that is okish to do, i heard that maths is one of the hardest degrees and its really showing. also i have not done further maths which is a bummer. im just so lost as to what to do.!!

Why not switch to UCL Econ? Speak to them directly at the department. They may be able to help you out with a place for next year. Also, you could possibly transfer to some sort of engineering....
Reply 2
ni tried but they said that they are totally full. man im so ****ed up
Reply 3
vincent
ni tried but they said that they are totally full. man im so ****ed up

They can't be full for next year surely?
Maybe Maths and Economics?
Or one of UCL's weird SORE degrees:confused:
Reply 4
o hyou meant for next year, though you mean this year. nah i dont knwo what i will do, i think that i will jsut stick at it. i think im finding it difficult because i guess im am at one of the best universities around and there is a reason why its a good uni. but what do you think my chances of getting to LSE given tha if i mess up my first year here. i dont really want to reapply etc. youthink that LSE will just let me apply directly to them, im not saying i want to go to lse cos its good, well that too, but i want to live at home also. which is one of the reasons taht i chose to go to UCL
Reply 5
oh i did do maths with econ and the econ was taught by the stastics department and and it was terrible, it was so maths orientated. like proper. can someone tell me what economics is like at UCL? like we never got any notes although we can download the lectures but they were like 20,30 pages. is there a lot of writing?

Latest

Trending

Trending