Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would Oxford be fine if I did A Level Maths, Physics and Further Maths with AS Philosophy & Ethics? I want to do Computer Science/Physics, without Philosophy. Would it show I'm an all-round student since I have an Art, rather than all sciences which would seem too narrow. Also, it will help reduce my workload and help me spend more time concentrating on Further Maths, since I think Philosophy & Ethics quite easy and most people who did it my school got B/A/A*. Should I do it? Or would I be better off with AS Chemistry? Is Philosophy & Ethics easy, medium or hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asmuse123)
    x
    Chemistry might be marginally more useful for physics but it's unlikely to make any difference to your application, unless you do appallingly badly in the one you choose. (And even then, it's unlikely to matter very much, compared to MAT/PAT and interview performance.) Having all sciences when applying for science degrees is perfectly normal. I can well imagine that most Oxbridge computer science and physics undergrads took just science A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Would Oxford be fine if I did A Level Maths, Physics and Further Maths with AS Philosophy & Ethics? I want to do Computer Science/Physics, without Philosophy. Would it show I'm an all-round student since I have an Art, rather than all sciences which would seem too narrow. Also, it will help reduce my workload and help me spend more time concentrating on Further Maths, since I think Philosophy & Ethics quite easy and most people who did it my school got B/A/A*. Should I do it? Or would I be better off with AS Chemistry? Is Philosophy & Ethics easy, medium or hard?
    Hi
    This is a CompSci answer rather than Physics but hopefully a useful one to you. Pleased to hear you're interested in applying to us.

The subject combinations you mention would be absolutely fine with us.

The standard conditional offer for our straight CompSci degree is currently A*AA on three A-levels including at least an A in Maths: the A* must be in Maths, Further Maths, ^Physics^ or Computing. (Although Physics will have been dropped from the list by the time you'd be applying.) We only make offers based on three full A Levels - although we'll notice if you've done more. But a subject taken to just AS wouldn't be included in any offer we made.

We're not really looking for "all-round" students. We're looking for students with a real flair for Maths, who've really developed their mathematical thinking, and who are going to excel on the degree they're applying for.

So, for us Maths and Further Maths are the really important ones. But once you've got those two in the mix we don't mind so much what else you take. It's also important that you reach the standard offer - we wouldn't for example see AAAA or AAAa as equivalent to A*AA.

We quite often see (successful) candidates who've taken something like a language, or more artsy/humanities subject as their third or fourth subject, along side their very maths-based ones. A quick scan of this year's A Level-taking offer-holders' subjects reveals quite a few students with music, geography or a modern language in the mix. We don't mind that at all.

We tend to suggest Physics over Chemistry as it gives you more of a chance to practice your Maths. We generally see a larger proportion of our successful candidates having taken Physics than Chemistry. But either are fine by us.

We talk more about subject choice here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/...al_offers.html
    http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/...look_for?.html

You've got Maths and Further Maths in there which is great. Beyond that I'd suggest taking another subject (or two) that you'll think you'd enjoy and do well in.

It's worth remembering that performance in the MAT and the interview have considerably more weight on your application than your exact mix of A Levels (as long as you meet the requirements.) http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/...ply/index.html

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept)
    Hi
    This is a CompSci answer rather than Physics but hopefully a useful one to you. Pleased to hear you're interested in applying to us.

The subject combinations you mention would be absolutely fine with us.

The standard conditional offer for our straight CompSci degree is currently A*AA on three A-levels including at least an A in Maths: the A* must be in Maths, Further Maths, ^Physics^ or Computing. (Although Physics will have been dropped from the list by the time you'd be applying.) We only make offers based on three full A Levels - although we'll notice if you've done more. But a subject taken to just AS wouldn't be included in any offer we made.

We're not really looking for "all-round" students. We're looking for students with a real flair for Maths, who've really developed their mathematical thinking, and who are going to excel on the degree they're applying for.

So, for us Maths and Further Maths are the really important ones. But once you've got those two in the mix we don't mind so much what else you take. It's also important that you reach the standard offer - we wouldn't for example see AAAA or AAAa as equivalent to A*AA.

We quite often see (successful) candidates who've taken something like a language, or more artsy/humanities subject as their third or fourth subject, along side their very maths-based ones. A quick scan of this year's A Level-taking offer-holders' subjects reveals quite a few students with music, geography or a modern language in the mix. We don't mind that at all.

We tend to suggest Physics over Chemistry as it gives you more of a chance to practice your Maths. We generally see a larger proportion of our successful candidates having taken Physics than Chemistry. But either are fine by us.

We talk more about subject choice here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/...al_offers.html
    http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/...look_for?.html

You've got Maths and Further Maths in there which is great. Beyond that I'd suggest taking another subject (or two) that you'll think you'd enjoy and do well in.

It's worth remembering that performance in the MAT and the interview have considerably more weight on your application than your exact mix of A Levels (as long as you meet the requirements.) http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/...ply/index.html

Hope that helps.
    Thanks!
    How would the Computer Science Dept. feel if I did just AS Level Maths, Further Maths and Physics because, as you said, I really want to show I have a flair for Maths and I could do that by spending more time on Maths so I can get as many marks and the best grade I can, but how would you feel about me just taking 3 AS Levels?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    How would the Computer Science Dept. feel if I did just AS Level Maths, Further Maths and Physics because, as you said, I really want to show I have a flair for Maths and I could do that by spending more time on Maths so I can get as many marks and the best grade I can, but how would you feel about me just taking 3 AS Levels?
    Absolutely fine. You can meet the standard conditional offer with those subjects and you've got the important ones covered. We only make offers based on three A Levels. You don't need to have done more.

[Edit] just to clarify you'd need to then take all three to A2. Just three AS grades wouldn't be enough.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.