Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Casual chat. Thinking about starting a career path towards becoming a counselor? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Skip the first part if you aren't interested in my life story

I've been having a bit of a think lately. I started at Lancaster University studying History, planning on staying on all the way to a Doctorate and mentoring, then later lecturing. By the end of the year I handed in my notice. As a result I've been leaning on a Debenhams job with my arms crossed wondering where to go from here.

History was nothing like I imagined it would be. I'm good, or was good, at ICT, and my family seems hell-bent on thrusting me into a new path concerning computer science. That seems logical, though so did History, and seeing as that didn't work out I'm not keen on repeating past mistakes... not to mention the debt.

I'm an introvert, I'll admit it. I was even a bit depressed studying History. Alright, a lot depressed. Though I've always been around for others and I'd like to think I know how to ground myself, taking out rubbish and working on minimum wage has been quite humbling, that and my life - like so many others - has been a sob story up until things have quietened down recently. (Where I guess now it seems like my sob story.) I'm a creative guy, I like writing, expressing myself that way, listening to music 24/7 and reading.

Long story short, I don't feel like I'm the sort of guy who would ever be happy doing things for money solely. Being a life coach, a grief counselor or even a psychologist sounds like my kind of thing. I don't have to sell a product or be an extrovert; I just need experience in the field and the qualifications. I could do that, I reckon.

But where do I start? I've never done psychology. I don't know the first thing about counseling (professionally) or if there's a degree or foundation course for this kind of thing. I can go looking, and likely will in a moment, though if someone could save me some time by pointing me in the right direction or sharing their own path, I'll shower you with kiss-... gratitude.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.