Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Labour Council introduce 'Disability Tax' to take 70% of disabled people's benefits watch

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on this? The Labour party in Plymouth have decided this is the best way to balance their books:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Hund...ail/story.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    Thoughts on this? The Labour party in Plymouth have decided this is the best way to balance their books:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Hund...F02k3OBxEDs.01
    The link doesn't appear to be working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    The link doesn't appear to be working.
    it should be working, have redone the link anyway & it is working

ReputationRep:
    it should be working, have redone the link anyway & it is working
    Yes it is - thanks.

Well this clearly seems like a bad move from first glance. However it is particularly annoying to see the crocodile tears from Tories. Their party is the one which has left councils in very awkward positions.

This quote from Gary Streeter, Tory MP, stood out:

I know Plymouth City Council is struggling to make ends meet, but some recent decisions, including this one, suggest that the most vulnerable are particularly hit.
    Two words Gary. Bedroom tax.

ReputationRep:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Hund...ail/story.html
    So what they are saying is that they are receiving DLA to meet the costs of personal care on account of their disability.

Plymouth City Council is providing them with care.

Plymouth wants to take into account 70% of their DLA in determining what they have to pay for that care.

They think it is wrong that 70% of the money they receive to meet the cost of personal care should have to be used towards meeting the cost of personal care.

Have I got that right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Two words Gary. Bedroom tax.
    I'm trying to sort my tax return out. I don't apper to be able to find anything for bedroom tax on the forms. Where and how do I pay this bedroom tax?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.