Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    to cut a long story short-
    i live 200 miles from home, where i moved into a rental property with my boyfriend (who is not a student) before starting university, 1yr 3 months ago

i've been thinking about breaking it off for a while and moving closer to uni (currently drive 1hr to get there) - on my own. but my current landlord requires a notice period of 2 months before vacating the house

not only is that super awkward as i have a 2 month time frame to break up with my boyfriend (and decide at which stage of the 2 months to tell him), but it also means i have a certain frame of time to find somewhere suitable to live!

my dad said that if i find somewhere ideal way before my tenancy ends, i might be able to apply for tenancy but tell them i can't move in for another X amount of weeks. is that true? i spose it depends on whether its privately let/agency let, but surely unless i paid rent and bills for BOTH houses, they wouldn't be fine with that as they'd be out of pocket for a few weeks?

anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josehhhh)
    i might be able to apply for tenancy but tell them i can't move in for another X amount of weeks. is that true? i spose it depends on whether its privately let/agency let, but surely unless i paid rent and bills for BOTH houses, they wouldn't be fine with that as they'd be out of pocket for a few weeks?
    It's a private contract, you can have any start date that you agree with the landlord. If they are happy to delay your tenancy start date then that's up to them.

Most lettings wont be immediately available anyway as most landlords prefer to arrange new tenants whilst the existing ones are 'on notice'.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but what i wanna know is how likely are they to agree to something like that? spose all i can do is ask around, right? one or two of them have 'available from' dates on their adverts, but 90% are 'available now'
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    All you can do is ask. It will depend partly how much they like you, and also whether they can find other suitable tenants. If the property has been advertised for a while they might be more desperate to rent, and therefore more willing to compromise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josehhhh)
    yeah but what i wanna know is how likely are they to agree to something like that?
    How long is a peice of string?

I suppose it will depend on supply and demand. If there is not much demand then they may me more willing to accomodate your request.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.