Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Why is Europe opposed genetically modified Food? watch

ReputationRep:
    Europe is opposed to Gm foods yet every scientifically reputable organisation has proven it's safe. Why the blind objections, considering there hasn't been a single case of anyone getting sick from Gm food, as well as considering all the foods we eat today have all been modified in some way. The objections and the reason for the objections are ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    affects wildlife and biodiversity, according to Europeans plus people don't like the whole added chemicals thing and prefer organic

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Organic simply means in scientific terms it contains carbon which is Every living thing plus Lol everything on this planet is made of chemicals, fed up with people thinking chemical is a bad word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Organic simply means in scientific terms it contains carbon which is Every living thing plus Lol everything on this planet is made of chemicals, fed up with people thinking chemical is a bad word.
    hm I agree but its just a general fear amongst the population and coupled with conspiracy theorists so it doesn't get any better

What are you views on the argument that it reduces biodiversity and affects wildlife

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    No evidence but that doesn't exclude the possibility it could cause any harm to the environment or wildlife but not any concrete proof of that yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    No evidence but that doesn't exclude the possibility it could cause any harm to the environment or wildlife but not any concrete proof of that yet.
    Yeah I see where you're going from economically speaking its amazing and solves a lot of problems for the world yet then again it may cause more problems in the long term for us than itnsolves

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? It's genetic mutations artificially done! It is known that stuff like that may lead to cancer.
    also you can't say there are good because a study said that. It takes years at least because the effects are long term and genetically modified foods are quite new so it will take a few decades to get an actual relevant study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiminaM)
    Are you serious? It's genetic mutations artificially done! It is known that stuff like that may lead to cancer.
    also you can't say there are good because a study said that. It takes years at least because the effects are long term and genetically modified foods are quite new so it will take a few decades to get an actual relevant study.
    yes I saw an article and my science teacher also said that, so we don't have full knowledge of the process - could be comparable to the situation where thalidomide where it may seem good at the start but after a period of time the effects may set in and by then it could be too late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unfathomablee)
    yes I saw an article and my science teacher also said that, so we don't have full knowledge of the process - could be comparable to the situation where thalidomide where it may seem good at the start but after a period of time the effects may set in and by then it could be too late
    Thank you for your scientific backup. 👍 👏
    Leave nature as it is. It's wrong to alter what we eat. I swear it's like the 21st century is the time to poison ourselves! Fast food, smoking, drugs and now this! Wtf humanity get a grip already...

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol all the food we eat is not natural but has been altered by artificial selection.Tell since when do you think you could find seedless grapes in the wild?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol poor knowledge of genetics.Not all mutations are bad.Skin colour, hair colour etc all developed as a result of genetic mutations.Genetic mutations is a key feature of natural selection.This is a classicvexample of Gm opposition having poor understanding of fundamental concepts but just blantantly cherry pick.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

There are thousands of scientific studies of Gm which shows it safe if you bother to look it up.Even the head of the Royal Society who won a Nobel prize in science says GM is safe.Your teacher never contradicted my statement which is that Gm is safe and a ban is just luddite behaviour in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Because it is better to be safe than sorry.

Productivity can be just as good using traditional techniques. It also means that European agriculture can retain it's independence instead of having to rely on big American corporations. In essence it is partly a form of protectionism.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Loads of things we do aren't natural but we do for good of society.Organ transplants aren't natural that's why the body Rejects it and the parents are on immune suppressing drugs for a lifetime to prevent rejection.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Clearly deaf, check my above replies to the others who commented.No scientific study has ever found Gm to be harmful.The head of the Royal Society even says GM is safe.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I saw an article on where daily mail? Give me a link to the article on a CREDIBLE REPUTABLE respected scientific website.Go on then.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, societies praising a big company for money what is new? Do you also believe Colgate is the best because your dentist who is the best in the country said so?
    Nature knows best. Food is not to be genetically modified. For ex you may get a bigger faster growing apple but it will lack essential nutrients.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    When it's cost ten of thousands of pounds to protect Gm plants because people who think like you break into the fields and destroy the Gm plants, of course only big companies like Monsanto can afford Gm! maybe if it wasn't so expensive to get Gm approvals other companies would be mass producing it too.Plus there are plenty of small biotechnology companies involved in Gm.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Scientist like Stephen Hawking, Michael Faraday,Peter Highs and Isaacs Newton were/are part of the Royal Society.Are you attacking their credibility too? These people have far more knowledge of Gm than you do, it's simply ignorance versus scientific knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Food has already been genetically modified tsk tsk.Rice and maize look nothing like their ancestors. Battery chickens definitely aren't natural.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.