The Student Room Group

Review of the rep system!

Hi All,

Basically, I think it would be good if we could have a review of the rep system, where members can share ideas of how it could be changed, and then the CT could tell us what they think (hopefully :tongue:)

Please don't just say: Get rid of anything which stops rep being given after a certain time!

Obviously there needs to be a system where users can't rep spam or anything like that, but at the same time, I have a fairly close bunch of people that I tend to see around on TSR, and so it's now near impossible for me to rep them...

My favourite idea, which someone said earlier, was to maybe have a limit of repping someone a certain number of times a day/week/month... and then for the limit of giving any rep per day, maybe as we get more rep (and likely to be more responsible/reliable on the site) this increases, as for someone that sometimes spends a lot of time on here in a day, I could burn through it pretty quickly...

Post any thoughts below!

Captain Jack
I know you're a busy man, but I would appreciate if we could at least get some feedback about the likelihood of a possibility of a review of the rep system... Cheers!

Scroll to see replies

I would be in favour of a bit more flexibility in who we rep and how many times we can rep. When we still had neg rep, it sort of made sense to have these limitations, as a person's rep count could tell you something about the validity of their comments (though that wasn't conclusive, of course). Now, most people who are on the site for long enough will have a decent rep count. In addition, sometimes contests/events are held in which members can win lots of rep. So, the amount of gems a person has isn't necessarily an indication of anything.

I'd be in favour of doubling the times per day a non-sub can rep posts, and halving the PRSOM limitation. That way, we wouldn't get rep fests between friends for those so inclined, but if you see an excellent post by someone who you happened to have repped recently, there's more of a chance that it can be given a thumbs up. Plus, having a greater allowance of reps per day means that more excellent posts can be rewarded.
Bring back Neg rep.

Well, somebody had to say it.
Reply 3
Original post by thunder_chunky
Bring back Neg rep.

This tbh.

I understand it was removed to create a 'less negative atmosphere', but have you read half of the threads on here? It's not -rep that made a bad atmosphere it's people + that is life :tongue:

Readd negative rep pleaseeee.
Reply 4
Original post by Inexorably
This tbh.

I understand it was removed to create a 'less negative atmosphere', but have you read half of the threads on here? It's not -rep that made a bad atmosphere it's people + that is life :tongue:

Readd negative rep pleaseeee.

They removed it because some users complained that they were being negged too much, citing it as a "bullying tool". This is, of course, absolute nonsense - the people who complained need to step out into the real world.
Reply 5
Original post by lustawny
They removed it because some users complained that they were being negged too much, citing it as a "bullying tool". This is, of course, absolute nonsense - the people who complained need to step out into the real world.

If they were being -repped too much there would have been a justifiable reason for it surely - If it was a certain group of users doing it to troll, then it's possible to disable them from giving out -/+rep at all which would have solved the issue.

Really was an overreaction and I agree it's nonsense :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Inexorably
If they were being -repped too much there would have been a justifiable reason for it surely - If it was a certain group of users doing it to troll, then it's possible to disable them from giving out -/+rep at all which would have solved the issue.

Really was an overreaction and I agree it's nonsense :frown:

Absolutely. There was always a reason for being negged, and that reason was: I don't agree with what you've said. It was as simple as that. It was never a bullying tool, it was merely an effective system of gauging the quality of posts and those that were posting.

A lot of people excessively took negative reputation to heart, when they shouldn't have done. I think the rep system with its negative reputation inclusion was quite fair, to be honest. Fair enough, there were some users with high amounts of rep that liked to neg for fun, but I don't think they were many in number - I think the majority of green-gemmed users were/are quite sensible and reasonable when allocating rep.
Reply 7
Absolutely. There was always a reason for being negged, and that reason was: I don't agree with what you've said. It was as simple as that. It was never a bullying tool, it was merely an effective system of gauging the quality of posts and those that were posting.

A lot of people excessively took negative reputation to heart, when they shouldn't have done. I think the rep system with its negative reputation inclusion was quite fair, to be honest. Fair enough, there were some users with high amounts of rep that liked to neg for fun, but I don't think they were many in number - I think the majority of green-gemmed users were/are quite sensible and reasonable when allocating rep.

I can't quite recall the exact details of the system so you could help me, when -rep was around if a user had +10 power/level and -repped, did the user who got -repped lose exactly 10?

If this was supposedly a problem 'cause of those with higher powers doing it (probably wasn't), then another forum I use simply halves it. So if you have +10 power/level and -rep someone, they only lose 5 rep. Surely that would solve some of the supposed issue? :tongue:
I like to rep people so I hate that TSR has limits on reps :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there not a possibility to change this system completely? I mean what is/was the original sense of giving some members a reputation?
Thinking about it, I actually feel that the rep system needs to be completely revitalised. I don't like the idea of just having rep gems, they're not specific enough, and I don't think people actually care about them anymore. There's so many types of posts, and those doing the posting. I think they both need to be described in more detail - a user with a high amount of rep gems could mean anything.

I would propose scrapping rep gems, and the whole 'thumbs up'/'thumbs down' option for posts, in favour of a system where you get the option to describe each post in more detail. For example, you could have certain options to select on each post, such as 'helpful', 'unhelpful', 'comedic', 'trollish', 'creative', 'well-rationalised' and so on. The option that is most popularly selected on each post, would be how that particular post is branded. For example, a post that has the 'creative' option selected the most, would be branded clearly on the thread as 'creative'. This would then feed into the badge system that's recently been implemented, and you would get a badge every time you reach a certain amount of posts that have been branded in a particular way.

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I think it's a pretty good idea.
Has problems with rep increasing exponentially - removes neg rep.

Opinion vastly against removal of negs - declared an outstanding success by CT despite no poll (it was removed).

Introduces badge system - already talking about future development after a couple of days.

I'm sure someone will happily conduct a review, which will consist of copying and pasting three quotes, and discussing anecdotes about that time they spoke to a member and, "they thought it was a good idea".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thinking about it, I actually feel that the rep system needs to be completely revitalised. I don't like the idea of just having rep gems, they're not specific enough, and I don't think people actually care about them anymore. There's so many types of posts, and those doing the posting. I think they both need to be described in more detail - a user with a high amount of rep gems could mean anything.

I would propose scrapping rep gems, and the whole 'thumbs up'/'thumbs down' option for posts, in favour of a system where you get the option to describe each post in more detail. For example, you could have certain options to select on each post, such as 'helpful', 'unhelpful', 'comedic', 'trollish', 'creative', 'well-rationalised' and so on. The option that is most popularly selected on each post, would be how that particular post is branded. For example, a post that has the 'creative' option selected the most, would be branded clearly on the thread as 'creative'. This would then feed into the badge system that's recently been implemented, and you would get a badge every time you reach a certain amount of posts that have been branded in a particular way.

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I think it's a pretty good idea.

I like that idea. You're right. I really don't care about how many rep gems I have. It's meaningless. I do, however, like repping posts, but the reason I do so varies - from posts that make me laugh, to posts that are helpful, to posts that are well-reasoned, and so on. So, your suggestion makes sense, and it could indeed work well with the badge system, as well as offer some quality control on advice threads that receive unhelpful advice.

This. :yes:
Original post by Kittiara
I like that idea. You're right. I really don't care about how many rep gems I have. It's meaningless. I do, however, like repping posts, but the reason I do so varies - from posts that make me laugh, to posts that are helpful, to posts that are well-reasoned, and so on. So, your suggestion makes sense, and it could indeed work well with the badge system, as well as offer some quality control on advice threads that receive unhelpful advice.

Thanks! I don't think it's a good idea to have both badges and rep gems, it doesn't make much sense. What do you think?

Just to add to this idea, it would perhaps be better to make it so that a post only gets branded when it's reached a certain number of people that have selected that particular option. Also, I think it would be good if once you got a badge for being 'creative' or 'well-rationalised', for instance, if it were to show up on your profile and post-bit more clearly. At the moment it just says '1 badge' on your post-bit, so it's not very clear.

Plus, badges don't show up on your post-bit on the old TSR thread layout. It shows up on the new layout, though. So it could be improved a bit more, really.
I would like the un-like function.
Thanks! I don't think it's a good idea to have both badges and rep gems, it doesn't make much sense. What do you think?

Just to add to this idea, it would perhaps be better to make it so that a post only gets branded when it's reached a certain number of people that have selected that particular option. Also, I think it would be good if once you got a badge for being 'creative' or 'well-rationalised', for instance, if it were to show up on your profile and post-bit more clearly. At the moment it just says '1 badge' on your post-bit, so it's not very clear.

Plus, badges don't show up on your post-bit on the old TSR thread layout. It shows up on the new layout, though. So it could be improved a bit more, really.

Aye, if we're going to have a badge system, we might as well make good use of it and get rid of rep gems in the process. Rep gems are pointless ever since neg rep was removed.

And I agree, there should be a requirement of at least three or five particular umm... reps, for lack of a better word. Probably five.

Perhaps in the post-bit it could show the amount of badges a person has, and then if people hover their mouse over it it could show the type of badges that member has earned? Otherwise, if a person has earned several badges, it could get a bit crowded.
Original post by Kittiara
Aye, if we're going to have a badge system, we might as well make good use of it and get rid of rep gems in the process. Rep gems are pointless ever since neg rep was removed.

And I agree, there should be a requirement of at least three or five particular umm... reps, for lack of a better word. Probably five.

Perhaps in the post-bit it could show the amount of badges a person has, and then if people hover their mouse over it it could show the type of badges that member has earned? Otherwise, if a person has earned several badges, it could get a bit crowded.

I like to describe this new form of repping as 'branding'. I'm not sure if it'll catch on, though!

Anyway, I like your idea of having the type of badges that you've gained show up in the post-bit, that'd be pretty good. Also, each of these new badges that I'm proposing could have different names - such as 'Jester' for the comedic badge, 'Innovator' for the creative one and so on. I was thinking that the specific names for these badges that you've earned could show up on your profile and post-bit (as can the existing badges that we have now).
Original post by thunder_chunky
Bring back Neg rep.

Bad idea, just because my impression was that many members were not able to use them in a proper, but in an arbitrary way.

I have experienced how many members were using it whenever they have not accepted a different opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Bring back rep comments but make them public - so if someone hovers over or clicks on a little expand icon next to a thumbs up they can see the anonymous/semianon feedback other users gave. That means popular threads dont get 100s of "i agree" or "lol" replies but those are in the rep comments instead.

Rep comments were lovely and a really positive part of the rep system back in olden times. And anyone abusing them got banned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending