Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I'm posting quite a few questions but I'm only trying to learn and see if I'm doing this right! Would anyone be able to tell me if this is right? And would (a) (ii) X and Z be 8 Ohms? Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421184629.941095.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  91.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohnanailikenanas)
    Sorry I'm posting quite a few questions but I'm only trying to learn and see if I'm doing this right! Would anyone be able to tell me if this is right? And would (a) (ii) X and Z be 8 Ohms? Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421184629.941095.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How have you worked these out? I don't think so. What you want to do in both cases is:

1) Find all paths between the two points (there will be two routes between each pair, one going clockwise and the other counterclockwise)
    2) Find the resistance for each path
    3) Work out the total resistance
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Two rules:

1) Series resistors are summed: R1 + R2 + R3 etc.

2) Parallel resistors are: \frac{1}{R_{total}} = \frac{1}{R1} + \frac{1}{R2} + \frac{1}{R3} \mathrm \ {etc}.

In part a) think of the paths current will take flowing between the two points in question.

In the first there are two paths which means these paths are in parallel:

1) The first is directly between X and Y flowing through the 6 ohms resistor on its own.

2) The second flows via 3 resistors passing through each in turn (series) 6, 3 and 12 ohms.

To calculate the resistance between the terminals, calculate the resistance between each path independently (the series paths). Replace each of the series paths with a single equivalent resistance.

You then have only two resistances to deal with and both are in parallel.

The final resistance can now be calculated.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, I thought that's what I was doing Since I have to find the resistance b/w X and Y.. It's in parallel with the 3 Ohms so do I not do 1/3 + 1/6 = 4/12 + 2/12 = 6/12 then flip 12/6 = 2 Ohms??? And then between X and Z is it not 6 Ohms because the 6 Ohms is parallel to the 12 Ohms which equals to be 4 Ohms then if the other is 2 Ohms add it together to make 6 Ohms? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hm, I thought that's what I was doing Since I have to find the resistance b/w X and Y.. It's in parallel with the 3 Ohms so do I not do 1/3 + 1/6 = 4/12 + 2/12 = 6/12 then flip 12/6 = 2 Ohms??? And then between X and Z is it not 6 Ohms because the 6 Ohms is parallel to the 12 Ohms which equals to be 4 Ohms then if the other is 2 Ohms add it together to make 6 Ohms? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not in parallel with the 3Ohms only though- it's in parallel with the entire anti-clockwise route(6,3,12). You can find the resistance of that by combining them using the rules for series circuits.

ReputationRep:
    Wait.. Are you trying to explain to me that b/w X and Y you count it as if 6, 3, 12 Ohms then the shorter way 6 Ohms? Do I still use the parallel equation thing? Eg 1/6 + 1/12 etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Wait.. Are you trying to explain to me that b/w X and Y you count it as if 6, 3, 12 Ohms then the shorter way 6 Ohms? Do I still use the parallel equation thing? Eg 1/6 + 1/12 etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yes. the longer path is 6,3 and 12 ohms. These resistors are in series.

The equivalent resistance is 6 + 3 + 12 = 21 ohms.

This equivalent is in parallel with the 6 ohms resistor directly connected between X and Y.

21 ohms equivalent is in parallel with 6 ohms.

ReputationRep:
    So the resistance b/w X and Y is 1/21 + 1/6 = 2/42 + 7/42 = 9/42 = 42/9 = 4.66 Ohms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    So the resistance b/w X and Y is 1/21 + 1/6 = 2/42 + 7/42 = 9/42 = 42/9 = 4.66 Ohms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Correct.

You should round your answer to 4.67 ohms or state it exactly as 4\frac{2}{3} \Omega

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, great! Thank you so much! I'll try and work out the second question now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Now you know how to do it, what did you make the answer between X and Z?

ReputationRep:
    I did 6 + 3 = 9 then 6 + 12 = 18. 1/9 + 1/18 = 4/36 + 2/36 = 6/36 = 36/6 = 6 Ohms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I did 6 + 3 = 9 then 6 + 12 = 18. 1/9 + 1/18 = 4/36 + 2/36 = 6/36 = 36/6 = 6 Ohms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You got it!

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you ever so much! You don't realise how much I appreciate this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Ah thank you ever so much! You don't realise how much I appreciate this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are very welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, again. Is part (b) right? Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421189978.684356.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  97.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Sorry, again. Is part (b) right? Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421189978.684356.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  97.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No.

As before, there are two current paths between X and Z and we must consider the path with the 3 ohms resistor in it.

I3ohms = VXZ / RXZ

That is because all of the series current flowing in that path must flow through the 3 ohms resistor.

So

VXZ = 12V

RXZ = total resistance between XZ (current path with 3 ohms resistor in it) = (3 + 6)ohms = 9 ohms

I3ohms = 12 / 9 = 1.33 amps.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay I see, thank you once again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.