Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I've been thinking about giving up my current job for a really long time. I just can feel I don't fit in. I work in a cafe/bar. I don't really have too much in common with people I work. However, it is not what is a problem as it is normal that people differ: I usually just work in a silence or can feel very uncomfortable as I can feel or sometimes even hear that people gossip about me. In fact, they gossip about everyone as long as the person is not with them. They are making me feel guilty and kind of stupid as they are trying to show me as a person who has no clue about anything, although I've been working there since June.
    The pay rate is not thrilling, it's just the lowest legal student rate. I don't really feel ok with all of this.

However, it's actually my first "real" job and I'm just so afraid of changing it. I'm scared of facing my boss and telling him that I'm giving up...

The whole situation makes me just really uncomfortable. I feel really bad when I go to work and when I actually work but I'm just stuck in this situation and not sure what to do - or maybe when to make some changes. I just applied for one different job and I would see if I can really make it, the training is next week. The problem is, now I'm just scared that the new job may be as bad as this one. I just don't know what to do.

Have you ever were in a similar position?

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind of in a similar position now where I'm considering trying to find a new job, but in my case I actually get on well with my work mates and I'd miss them if I end up leaving. All you can do is try not to worry about it, see how things play out and remember there's no urgent rush to make career decisions - just wait and see how it plays out. That's what I'm trying to do.

ReputationRep:
    if you're a student you're lucky as you've got a really good reason to quit your job without a new one lined up if you need to (to focus on your studies)

but I would try and find a new job... I know it's hard going into a work environment where you just feel ****ty all the time but you just have to try and shake it off and remember you're there for one reason - money... as for getting a new job I recently went through that transition from horrible work colleagues to new job and it was terrifying thinking what could be waiting for me, but it's been good and people have generally been nice

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation... I've been thinking of leaving a job I've been at for over a year and actually really love for the most part! Unlike you, I get along really well with all my colleagues and THEY'RE the ones who've kept me there for so long. As I got bored of the job itself after the first few months. I think it's normal and healthy to want change after a while. I say just go for it, try something new. You'll never know until you do it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2015
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.