Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Borderline Personality Disorder watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have this? How did you get diagnosed? Did you suspect you had it or was it a mental health professional that firs mentioned it? I ask because I've suspected I have it for a couple of years and keep getting two scared to mention it to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    I was diagnosed after many years of illness - I hadn't considered it but it does explain some of my symptoms. For me, it's part of my diagnosis but not the whole picture as I have other issues as well. I take meds and see a therapist regularly, so I'm learning to control it better now. I wish you all the best in your recovery - I'd urge you to speak to your care provider or GP about the possibility of BPD if you can. Feel free to message me if you want more info

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieEPQ)
    I was diagnosed after many years of illness - I hadn't considered it but it does explain some of my symptoms. For me, it's part of my diagnosis but not the whole picture as I have other issues as well. I take meds and see a therapist regularly, so I'm learning to control it better now. I wish you all the best in your recovery - I'd urge you to speak to your care provider or GP about the possibility of BPD if you can. Feel free to message me if you want more info

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you have all the symptoms or just some of them? Because I don't have them all and I didn't know whether it's a case of needing them all to have it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Does anyone have this? How did you get diagnosed? Did you suspect you had it or was it a mental health professional that firs mentioned it? I ask because I've suspected I have it for a couple of years and keep getting two scared to mention it to anyone.
    I do not have it. However, it sounds like an interesting condition. How does it affect your day to day life?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do not have borderline personality disorder. However, it sounds like an interesting condition, distressing for the sufferer obviously but interesting from an academic standpoint. What symptoms do you present?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oligarch)
    I do not have borderline personality disorder. However, it sounds like an interesting condition, distressing for the sufferer obviously but interesting from an academic standpoint. What symptoms do you present?
    Why would anyone tell you about their condition so you can view it from 'an academic standpoint'? People with mental illness are humans to be respected not disorders to be studied.

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone tell you about their condition so you can view it from 'an academic standpoint'? People with mental illness are humans to be respected not disorders to be studied.
    While I do agree with what you mean... "People with mental illness{es} are humans to be respected not disorders to be studied"... Had it not have been for the study of mental illnesses, there would be no 'cure'.

ReputationRep:

Well, how else can such a condition be analysed in the public (as opposed to professional discourse) except by people describing their symptom and then greater learning about conditions? You obviously are not seeking treatment on here as no one here is a psychiatrist or if they are they have not come on TSR to help treat people and there are other forums for that, so the logical conclusion Is that you are here to discuss your condition.

ReputationRep:
    Well, how else can such a condition be analysed in the public (as opposed to professional discourse) except by people describing their symptom and then greater learning about conditions? You obviously are not seeking treatment on here as no one here is a psychiatrist or if they are they have not come on TSR to help treat people and there are other forums for that, so the logical conclusion Is that you are here to discuss your condition.
    I've come on here to discuss it with others who have it. Not those that want to look at us like we're animals in a zoo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyknowles)
    While I do agree with what you mean... "People with mental illness{es} are humans to be respected not disorders to be studied"... Had it not have been for the study of mental illnesses, there would be no 'cure'.
    I did not suggest otherwise. The OP seems rather bizarre. Obviously this is not the right place to treat mental illnesses so why else would OP come onto the forum except to discuss her condition.

ReputationRep:
    I've come on here to discuss it with others who have it. Not those that want to look at us like we're animals in a zoo.
    When did I imply that? Is this a symptom of your condition, aggressively attacking rationality and being overly and inappropriately emotional? I would be curious as to know your employment as from what you have typed so far, you would be unsuitable for many professions.

ReputationRep:
    When did I imply that? Is this a symptom of your condition, aggressively attacking rationality and being overly and inappropriately emotional? I would be curious as to know your employment as from what you have typed so far, you would be unsuitable for many professions.
    Great. I come on here for support and I get attacked and told I'm unemployable.

ReputationRep:
    Great. I come on here for support and I get attacked and told I'm unemployable.
    Surely support can only be granted if a problem is discussed? It says on the page of symptoms that 'manipulation to gain nurturance is considered common by those who treat the disorder'. It seems as if by portraying yourself as 'attacked' rather than the more realistic approach of you simply being overly emotional, you are doing just this. Is that not rather unhelpful of you to do that?

ReputationRep:
    Surely support can only be granted if a problem is discussed? It says on the page of symptoms that 'manipulation to gain nurturance is considered common by those who treat the disorder'. It seems as if by portraying yourself as 'attacked' rather than the more realistic approach of you simply being overly emotional, you are doing just this. Is that not rather unhelpful of you to do that?
    I don't want to explain my symptoms to someone who doesn't understand. Just talk with people who have it. What makes you think I want to educate you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the most mentally stable person myself, but talk about you overreacting?

I understand entirely what they mean by 'academic' standpoint. She finds the disorder interesting and wants to study/learn more about it, there's no need to fly off the handle at her? I have not been diagnosed with a personality disorder myself, but I have read about several mental illnesses and find it 'interesting' how they affect/develop in a person.

They're not trying to treat someone like a zoo, they're trying to learn more and clearly won't if you're just going to get moody for no reason?
    ---
    Actually having read the further down posts again, I would not be surprised if you yourself have BPD as you exhibit an astonishing number of traits of it purely based in your posts lol.

--
    Omg lmao I mean fly off at her/him sorry sex isn't displayed.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have all the symptoms or just some of them? Because I don't have them all and I didn't know whether it's a case of needing them all to have it...
    I don't have all of them - I can be impulsive, struggle with interpersonal relationships and sometimes engage in self-destructive behaviours. I totally get wanting to discuss this with other BPDers I don't think it's necessary to have all of them for a diagnosis, but you may be given a diagnosis of 'symptoms of BPD' if you don't meet all the criteria. But at the end of the day, we're all different and diagnoses are just labels. They can be helpful when it comes to getting treatment and explaining things to other people, but it doesn't really matter what the diagnosis is as long as you're able to access appropriate treatment.

If anybody really wants to understand more about the condition, Mind has a number of useful fact sheets online.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I'm not the most mentally stable person myself, but talk about you overreacting?

I understand entirely what they mean by 'academic' standpoint. She finds the disorder interesting and wants to study/learn more about it, there's no need to fly off the handle at her? I have not been diagnosed with a personality disorder myself, but I have read about several mental illnesses and find it 'interesting' how they affect/develop in a person.

They're not trying to treat someone like a zoo, they're trying to learn more and clearly won't if you're just going to get moody for no reason?
    ---
    Actually having read the further down posts again, I would not be surprised if you yourself have BPD as you exhibit an astonishing number of traits of it purely based in your posts lol.
    There is plenty of info on the internet for people to learn from. But I need support from people I can get advice from.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have all of them - I can be impulsive, struggle with interpersonal relationships and sometimes engage in self-destructive behaviours. I totally get wanting to discuss this with other BPDers I don't think it's necessary to have all of them for a diagnosis, but you may be given a diagnosis of 'symptoms of BPD' if you don't meet all the criteria. But at the end of the day, we're all different and diagnoses are just labels. They can be helpful when it comes to getting treatment and explaining things to other people, but it doesn't really matter what the diagnosis is as long as you're able to access appropriate treatment.

If anybody really wants to understand more about the condition, Mind has a number of useful fact sheets online.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I've read a lot about it and am convinced I have it but I know doctors are against self-diagnosis so I'm terrified to ask about it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've read a lot about it and am convinced I have it but I know doctors are against self-diagnosis so I'm terrified to ask about it. Thanks.
    There's no harm in mentioning it as a possibility - if you explain all your symptoms to a medical professional and then suggest it rather than insisting you have it, they should listen to you and consider the possibility do you see a consultant psychiatrist? If not, I'd suggest getting a referral from a GP as they can be really helpful x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It depends how you present your case to them. If you just say "I think I have BPD" and give no reason why, that's why they're generally against it. I have something completely different; but I handed over a piece of paper which explained why I believed I have the diagnosis. Because I have other diagnoses too, they had to be ruled out as causing the symptoms.

Is it possible (I know very little about BPD and other MH conditions) that you have another MH condition? I know there's a huge overlap.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.