The Student Room Group

Doing a third year at college, any chance I can still go to Uni after two years?

I didn't do well at all in the first year of college and I ended up getting 3 U's and an E. My college allowed me to come back aslong as I picked up a new A level and a BTEC. Physics was the course I managed to scrape a pass in so I was allowed to continue that in my 2nd current year along with photography and BTEC Media which I picked up as new A levels. I got a U in Maths W/Mechanics so my college didn't allow me to carry on with it so I'm now doing that externally. At first I was reluctantly okay with doing a third year but after a few months in, I have had fresh thoughts. The thoughts of people of my age starting University a year earlier than me, where I should also be starting University alongside them. Also, my brother who is a year younger will finish college at the same time as me which I find to be totally embarrassing. If I can, I really don't want to be starting University a year later than everyone else where I would also end up finishing a year later. When it eventually comes round to the third year, I probably won't be able to give 100% and focus because I would feel left behind and not part of where I should be. With the courses I am doing, if I was to get really high grades in them this year, so like A's/B's, keep in mind I'm retaking a unit of physics from last year to bump up my grade so I will in fact be done with physics by this year, would I still have a chance of getting into a university for like Software Design/Animation sort of course?
Reply 1
Original post by Venom193
I didn't do well at all in the first year of college and I ended up getting 3 U's and an E. My college allowed me to come back aslong as I picked up a new A level and a BTEC. Physics was the course I managed to scrape a pass in so I was allowed to continue that in my 2nd current year along with photography and BTEC Media which I picked up as new A levels. I got a U in Maths W/Mechanics so my college didn't allow me to carry on with it so I'm now doing that externally. At first I was reluctantly okay with doing a third year but after a few months in, I have had fresh thoughts. The thoughts of people of my age starting University a year earlier than me, where I should also be starting University alongside them. Also, my brother who is a year younger will finish college at the same time as me which I find to be totally embarrassing. If I can, I really don't want to be starting University a year later than everyone else where I would also end up finishing a year later. When it eventually comes round to the third year, I probably won't be able to give 100% and focus because I would feel left behind and not part of where I should be. With the courses I am doing, if I was to get really high grades in them this year, so like A's/B's, keep in mind I'm retaking a unit of physics from last year to bump up my grade so I will in fact be done with physics by this year, would I still have a chance of getting into a university for like Software Design/Animation sort of course?

You will need to have completed your A Levels/ BTEC in order to go to university all the way to the end of A2/ completion of the BTEC. So you will only be able to go to uni the same year your brother does.
You express concern that everyone else your age has gone to uni a year before and you'll be a year older than everyone. Well one guy i live with had to take 3years of alevels like you because he didn't do well first year. so he's a year older than me (i came straight from school). Another boy i live with had a gap year so is also a year older. 3 of my best friend on my course had gap years. I live with a 22 year old who's taking his second degree. People come to uni at all ages, lots and lots don't come from school, plenty don't come until there early 20's. It isn't like you're going to be old or something, age just isn't a factor, it's not like at school i didn't even think to ask my friends their age when i met them and when i meet other students i don't tend to discuss what year they're in.
Reply 2
Original post by em.d_4
You will need to have completed your A Levels/ BTEC in order to go to university all the way to the end of A2/ completion of the BTEC. So you will only be able to go to uni the same year your brother does.
You express concern that everyone else your age has gone to uni a year before and you'll be a year older than everyone. Well one guy i live with had to take 3years of alevels like you because he didn't do well first year. so he's a year older than me (i came straight from school). Another boy i live with had a gap year so is also a year older. 3 of my best friend on my course had gap years. I live with a 22 year old who's taking his second degree. People come to uni at all ages, lots and lots don't come from school, plenty don't come until there early 20's. It isn't like you're going to be old or something, age just isn't a factor, it's not like at school i didn't even think to ask my friends their age when i met them and when i meet other students i don't tend to discuss what year they're in.

That is a fair point but still, all my friends will be at uni whilst I'm still doing a third year for Photography and Media. Is there literally no way of doing a uni course without having completed full A levels even if I have enough UCAS points to get onto a uni course? Bear in mind I will have finished my Physics course by this year so I will have one complete A Level with 2 Half completed A levels and a half completed BTEC.
Reply 3
That is a fair point but still, all my friends will be at uni whilst I'm still doing a third year for Photography and Media. Is there literally no way of doing a uni course without having completed full A levels even if I have enough UCAS points to get onto a uni course? Bear in mind I will have finished my Physics course by this year so I will have one complete A Level with 2 Half completed A levels and a half completed BTEC.

Pretty sure you get 0 credit for a half finished BTEC. Most unis don't use ucas points for their offers so you'd need to complete the alevels. It's worth speaking to unis you're considering but i wouldn't count on it at all.
It is perfectly likely you'll have friends who either won't go to uni, won't get in or take gap years. You could also consider making new friends in the classes you're continuing them, think of it as a chance to broaden you horizons. You could get a job and make friends there.
Also you'd have to do very well in Physics and your other two AS's to get enough points anyway, most of the least respected courses at the least prestigious unis look for at least 200 points. You'd have to get at least Bbb or some similar combination and that's not a safe score that's bare minimum. To be safe for most courses you'd want at least 240 which would mean Aaa

Use this website for further research into unis and entry requirements https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/searchresults/ but contact them directly to discuss you AS situation
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4

You might be able to go to a uni that does not have high requirements - but you could do so much better off you waited a year. Many people take gap years between A Levels and uni, so you're not going to be the only one your age. Plus mature students go at any age!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest