Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My parent suffered a life threaten illness throughout my first year in AS. That caused a lot of emotional and psychological distress. As a result I completely failed my AS exams and I am now retaking the year. I'm predicted A*A*A* at the end of A2. Would I still be able to get into a decent medical school even though I'm completing my A levels in a 3 year gap instead of the normal 2?

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, but we all have setbacks

ReputationRep:
    Some schools allow resits in extenuating circumstances, some do not. Email the medical schools and find out as I believe my information may be out dated.
    There's a list of them somewhere just send them all emails asking whether you would be considered for the course having reset a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamA123)
    My parent suffered a life threaten illness throughout my first year in AS. That caused a lot of emotional and psychological distress. As a result I completely failed my AS exams and I am now retaking the year. I'm predicted A*A*A* at the end of A2. Would I still be able to get into a decent medical school even though I'm completing my A levels in a 3 year gap instead of the normal 2?
    Some allow resits in these circumstances however many don't as the exam boards do allow for extenuating circumstances themselves so they don't want to apply that BOD twice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SamA123)
    This would most likely class as extenuating circumstances for most medical schools, I wouldnt worry too much but I would email all medical schools before you apply to them explaining your circumstances and asking if this could affect your likelihood of getting an interview/offer.

Most med schools dont like resitters, but they use that term loosely to refer to people with no extenuating circumstances who are resitting A2 as they didnt get the grades first time.

ReputationRep:
    Most medical schools now no longer accept A-levels taken over more than 2 years, but resit policies vary. Keele will accept a resit year, but only if you apply with your A2 grades already achieved. Plymouth, Exeter and East Anglia may also be possibilities, but check with them as resit policies can change.

Given you have extenuating circumstances, if you have proof (GP letter or similar) there are probably a number of other schools who would consider your application.

Have a look here for schools which allow resits with extenuation, but as it is a bit outdated it is best to contact them and double-check http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Resit_Policies

Email or call admissions to explain your circumstances and ask how they would view this/whether they would accept an application from you.

All medical schools are 'decent', they all have to meet the same standards for medical education in order to be recognised by the GMC.

ReputationRep:
    Oh i'd also like to add 'decent' is irrelevant all UK med schools are very good and the prestige of the uni often doesn't correlate with the medical school. It also doesn't get disclosed on you early job applications after your degree so doesn't carry much weight unlike other degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Which UK medical schools are not "decent?"

It sounds like you may well have grounds for extenuating circumstances, but you must check with each university individually whether they would accept you with A-levels over 3 years before applying. You may need to go into some detail and may need evidence for your situation from your school or doctor.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.