Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone help me with this?

I'm getting nowhere with this question.

If 12345654321_7 \equiv x (mod 21)  with -21 < x \leq 0,  what   is   x?

At the moment I've converted 123456543217 to denary (it's 384473664) and I've been hopelessly dividing by 21... but I feel like the question has something to do with it being in base 7.

... I also checked wolfram alpha and got the answer x = 15, but this isn't in the correct range. Any help there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerPi)

At the moment I've converted 123456543217 to denary (it's 384473664) and I've been hopelessly dividing by 21... but I feel like the question has something to do with it being in base 7.

... I also checked wolfram alpha and got the answer x = 15, but this isn't in the correct range. Any help there?

Converting to base 10 seems a little messy here.
    What I'd recommend doing is considering what: 7^n \pmod{21} and seeing what you get.
    Then using this in terms of the base 7 representation, the result follows reasonably easily.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You should get 7^n \equiv 7 \pmod{21} \ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}

For your last issue note that: 15 \equiv -6 \pmod{21}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Converting to base 10 seems a little messy here.
    What I'd recommend doing is considering what: 7^n \pmod{21} and seeing what you get.
    Then using this in terms of the base 7 representation, the result follows reasonably easily.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You should get 7^n \equiv 7 \pmod{21} \ \forall n \in \mathbb{N}

For your last issue note that: 15 \equiv -6 \pmod{21}
    Thank you very much for this! A great help

Just a bit confused about the case with 7^n \pmod{21} where n=0 i.e. where 7^n=1 ... as 1 \not \equiv 7 \pmod{21} ?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for this! A great help

Just a bit confused about the case with 7^n \pmod{21} where n=0 i.e. where 7^n=1 ... as 1 \not \equiv 7 \pmod{21} ?
    A true statement, which is why I used the caveat \forall n \in \mathbb{N} where \mathbb{N}, the set of natural numbers is conventionally defined to not include 0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    A true statement, which is why I used the caveat \forall n \in \mathbb{N} where \mathbb{N}, the set of natural numbers is conventionally defined to not include 0.

Ahh brilliant! Sorry I missed that Thank you so much for your help - I fully understand this now

ReputationRep:
    Ahh brilliant! Sorry I missed that Thank you so much for your help - I fully understand this now
    Haha, no worries
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper

joostan's answer is great. I think there's a slightly more intuitive way if you know the Chinese Remainder Theorem:

12345654321_7 is 1 mod 7 (trivially), so it is 1 or 8 or 15 mod 21. Which? CRT tells us we can reduce mod 3 to distinguish between these.
    7^n is 1 mod 3, for all n (because 7 is 1 mod 3), so the sum-the-digits-to-get-parity-mod-3 trick works in base 7 for exactly the same reason as it works in base 10. The digit sum is clearly a multiple of 3, so 12345654321_7 is 0 mod 3. Hence being 0 mod 3 and 1 mod 7, it is 15 mod 21 by Chinese Remainder Theorem.

ETA: by the way, a \pmod{b} can be quickly written in LaTeX as a \pmod{b}. "pmod" as in "parentheses-mod".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    joostan's answer is great. I think there's a slightly more intuitive way if you know the Chinese Remainder Theorem:

12345654321_7 is 1 mod 7 (trivially), so it is 1 or 8 or 15 mod 21. Which? CRT tells us we can reduce mod 3 to distinguish between these.
    7^n is 1 mod 3, for all n (because 7 is 1 mod 3), so the sum-the-digits-to-get-parity-mod-3 trick works in base 7 for exactly the same reason as it works in base 10. The digit sum is clearly a multiple of 3, so 12345654321_7 is 0 mod 3. Hence being 0 mod 3 and 1 mod 7, it is 15 mod 21 by Chinese Remainder Theorem.

ETA: by the way, a \pmod{b} can be quickly written in LaTeX as a \pmod{b}. "pmod" as in "parentheses-mod".
    Many many thanks for this. I definitely find this method more intuitive.

Also thanks for the LaTeX tip!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 14, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.