Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    a person throws snowballs at a car at a rate R kg/s at a speed u
    v is the speed of the car going away from the person

i know that the the relative speed between the car and ball is u-v which means the rate at which it hits the ball is lower but why is the rate R(u-v)/u ?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by swagadon)
    a person throws snowballs at a car at a rate R kg/s at a speed u
    v is the speed of the car going away from the person

i know that the the relative speed between the car and ball is u-v which means the rate at which it hits the ball is lower but why is the rate R(u-v)/u ?
    The rate oif throwing is not the same thing as the speed. The rate will be in kg/time unit whilst speed is in distance/time unit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brianeverit)
    The rate oif throwing is not the same thing as the speed. The rate will be in kg/time unit whilst speed is in distance/time unit.
    i know that, but why is the rate at which it hits the car R(u-v)/u kg/s ?

ReputationRep:
    i know that, but why is the rate at which it hits the car R(u-v)/u kg/s ?
    The distance which the snowball must travel in any given second is (u-v) \ m
    It's speed is u \ ms^{-1}
    Does that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    The distance which the snowball must travel in any given second is (u-v) \ m
    It's speed is u \ ms^{-1}
    Does that help?
    not really how would you get from there to the result?

ReputationRep:
    I think the easiest way to visualise this is just consider the quotient as a ratio. It tells you at speed u \,\,ms^{-1} the rate is R \,\, kg/s. The relative velocity is clearly less than u, thus the new rate will be less than R. To find the new rate, we just need the ratio between the relative velocity and u. Hence R \dfrac{(u-v)}{u}.

This is also dimensionally correct, as the units are still kgs^{-1}

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phichi)
    I think the easiest way to visualise this is just consider the quotient as a ratio. It tells you at speed u \,\,ms^{-1} the rate is R \,\, kg/s. The relative velocity is clearly less than u, thus the new rate will be less than R. To find the new rate, we just need the ratio between the relative velocity and u. Hence R \dfrac{(u-v)}{u}.

This is also dimensionally correct, as the units are still kgs^{-1}

Posted from TSR Mobile
    is there a more direct derivation? this just sounds like guessing to me- ' the relative velocity u-v is lower than u so the rate must be lower by the ratio of them, (u-v)/u ' the answer does make sense but how you get to it isn't completely clear

ReputationRep:
    is there a more direct derivation? this just sounds like guessing to me- ' the relative velocity u-v is lower than u so the rate must be lower by the ratio of them, (u-v)/u ' the answer does make sense but how you get to it isn't completely clear
    Perhaps the way I worded it seemed like guessing, but nevertheless, I'm pretty sure it makes perfect sense. I was trying to explain it in more layman terms to get the idea across.

If the person is throwing snow balls at rate R \, kgs^{-1} at speed u \, ms^{-1}, the rate for a velocity which is less than u will be less than R clearly. It's linear, for example, if v = \dfrac{u}{2}, you'd get half the amount of snowballs hitting per second (takes twice as long to hit the car), which can be easily seen as the ratio, R\dfrac{(\dfrac{u}{2})}{u} \, \, \Rightarrow \, \dfrac{1}{2}R

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phichi)
    Perhaps the way I worded it seemed like guessing, but nevertheless, I'm pretty sure it makes perfect sense. I was trying to explain it in more layman terms to get the idea across.

If the person is throwing snow balls at rate R \, kgs^{-1} at speed u \, ms^{-1}, the rate for a velocity which is less than u will be less than R clearly. It's linear, for example, if v = \dfrac{u}{2}, you'd get half the amount of snowballs hitting per second (takes twice as long to hit the car), which can be easily seen as the ratio, R\dfrac{(\dfrac{u}{2})}{u} \, \, \Rightarrow \, \dfrac{1}{2}R
    thats a bit better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.