Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The title is just for the attention, I don't mean LITERALLY deserve (hence the word 'kinda'), read below to see what I meant.

I DON'T CONDONE THE ATTACKS!!!! (Most people don't seem to get my point here)

Tl,dr version:

Charlie Hebdo should've used their minds and known that there are so many extremist Muslims out there and drawing Mohamed cartoons would cause a huge upset, create a lot of hatred and put themselves in danger.

First of all let me make it clear: I'm no terrorist or so, neither am I Muslim. I'm simply just an ordinary normal person trying to look at the situation objectively. I don't think terror is the right answer to anything and what the terrorists did was definitely wrong.

But, my point is that Charlie Hebdo clearly provoked it. I personally don't see what's wrong with cartoons of Mohamed, but everyone (incl CH) knows that doing any such activity would cause a huge upset in the Islamic World. The only reason for them to do it was to upset a huge group of people. And they knew that there are a lot of extremist Muslims out there.

In that situation it's clearly just an absolute dumb thing to publish something like that. It's like a woman in short clothes walking into a male prison without security. She'll most likely get raped in there. Similarly CH provoked the extremist Muslims and provoked this situation.

Does anyone share my views?

ReputationRep:
    No one deserves to die just for offending or criticising religion.

I can't say I'm surprised of the attack because I know extremists will react negatively.

ReputationRep:
    no they did nothing wrong

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps they shouldn't have been so provocative.

But then again they can't have thought that when they drew the cartoon they would be gunned down by an AK47.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    No one deserves to die just for offending or criticising religion.

I can't say I'm surprised of the attack because I know extremists will react negatively.
    The title was to gain attention. In the text I did mention that they didn't really deserve deserve it, but they provoked it and could've avoided it had they used their brains. It was in their hands and they did something so dumb and put themselves at risk. Know what the world is like nowadays and avoid doing stupid things and nobody will do anything to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokerll)
    Tl,dr version:
    Charlie Hebdo should've used their minds and known that there are so many extremist Muslims out there and drawing Mohamed cartoons would cause a huge upset, create a lot of hatred and put themselves in danger.

First of all let me make it clear: I'm no terrorist or so, neither am I Muslim. I'm simply just an ordinary normal person trying to look at the situation objectively. I don't think terror is the right answer to anything and what the terrorists did was definitely wrong.

But, my point is that Charlie Hebdo clearly provoked it. I personally don't see what's wrong with cartoons of Mohamed, but everyone (incl CH) knows that doing any such activity would cause a huge upset in the Islamic World. The only reason for them to do it was to upset a huge group of people. And they knew that there are a lot of extremist Muslims out there.

In that situation it's clearly just an absolute dumb thing to publish something like that. It's like a woman in short clothes walking into a male prison without security. She'll most likely get raped in there. Similarly CH provoked the extremist Muslims and provoked this situation.

No I disagree but you can have your views. They are a satirical newspaper and their job is to criticise, make fun of and laugh at the hypocrisy that is evident in world life. Islam is a religion that has a leader who seems to be of a rather disturbing nature and also mentions violence towards non believers. So I don't see what is wrong or provocative about making judgements about such a religion because clearly the religion has problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tl,dr version:

Clearly victim blaming the satirical magazine here. Said it before and I'll say it again - satire has been an important part of French culture since at least the 1400s.

The covers from CH expose the oppressive regimes put upon those of religious faiths - e.g. 2011 cover with "100 lashes of the whip if you don't die of laughter" refers to the violence and torture inflicted on people for stupid reasons in countries ruled by Sharia Law. The one ""provoking"" the recent terrorist attacks was exposing ISIL. I can see how it would offend. There was no excuse for the attack.

If you must respect and obey Sharia Law and observe Islamic culture in countries such as UAE, Saudi Arabia etc (look it up - it's very strict.) then surely migrants/those of the Islamic faith should respect the Western/French culture which does involve things like satire?

If everyone was punished for things they deemed 'offensive', we'd all be screwed. Freedom of speech is a human right.

Just my thoughts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solarburst)
    Perhaps they shouldn't have been so provocative.

But then again they can't have thought that when they drew the cartoon they would be gunned down by an AK47.
    I disagree. Any ordinary person could have predicted the outcome and you're telling me an entire magazine publisher couldn't?

They clearly knew that cartoons of the Islamic prophet would cause an upset in the Islamic world, a world that does have a lot of extremist who kill people for adultery etc (in certain places). Despite knowing all that they provoked this attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caitb97)
    Clearly victim blaming the satirical magazine here. Said it before and I'll say it again - satire has been an important part of French culture since at least the 1400s.

The covers from CH expose the oppressive regimes put upon those of religious faiths - e.g. 2011 cover with "100 lashes of the whip if you don't die of laughter" refers to the violence and torture inflicted on people for stupid reasons in countries ruled by Sharia Law. The one ""provoking"" the recent terrorist attacks was exposing ISIL. I can see how it would offend. There was no excuse for the attack.

If you must respect and obey Sharia Law and observe Islamic culture in countries such as UAE, Saudi Arabia etc (look it up - it's very strict.) then surely migrants/those of the Islamic faith should respect the Western/French culture which does involve things like satire?

If everyone was punished for things they deemed 'offensive', we'd all be screwed. Freedom of speech is a human right.

Just my thoughts!
    (Original post by masterwam)
    No I disagree but you can have your views. They are a satirical newspaper and their job is to criticise, make fun of and laugh at the hypocrisy that is evident in world life. Islam is a religion that has a leader who seems to be of a rather disturbing nature and also mentions violence towards non believers. So I don't see what is wrong or provocative about making judgements about such a religion because clearly the religion has problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see where you two are coming from. I didn't mean they literally deserved it, but rather that they shouldn't have done the cartoons and this would've never happened. Everyone knows that there are a lot of messed up people acting in the name of Islam (whether they are Muslims or not, I'm not getting into a debate on that) and that you shouldn't mess with those. Messing with messed up people will mess you up.

It's like if I see a violent gang in the night crossing a road on red light, I wouldn't tell them "That's wrong" although it is. I'd use my head and see that they could possibly attack me and just avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    X
    He deserved it as well:

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Any ordinary person could have predicted the outcome and you're telling me an entire magazine publisher couldn't?

They clearly knew that cartoons of the Islamic prophet would cause an upset in the Islamic world, a world that does have a lot of extremist who kill people for adultery etc (in certain places). Despite knowing all that they provoked this attack.
    How on earth could you possibly 'expect' such a reaction. Day in day out people and organisations poke fun at Islam causing an 'upset' in the 'Islamic world'. The fact is in France people aren't killed for adultery on a daily basis. This is both what makes it so unusual and so unexpected so to say that they could predict such an outcome is clearly a dumbfounded judgement.

ReputationRep:
    Because a few offensive cartoons immediately should give someone the right to take a large amount of lives because said cartoons don't align to the views of extremists, instead quite openly mocking them. NOT. This attack wasn't warranted, criticism is fine but not a cold act of multiple murders, not like this, not ever.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    The title is just for the attention, I don't mean LITERALLY deserve (hence the word 'kinda'), read below to see what I meant.

Tl,dr version:

Of course he clearly provoked it, but that doesn't mean he deserved to be killed. As much as I dislike his cartoons (and the idolisation of him), I still think he should be allowed to do it without fear of reprisal. What you essentially seem to be arguing against is people standing up for things they believe in when it could be dangerous. If people didn't do that, we'd still be living in the dark ages.

ReputationRep:
    Tl,dr version:

Did they deserve to be shot for having potentially offensive unpopular opinions...? No!
    Did they deserve and anticipation negative reaction from some groups? Well yes because that's the entire basis of the magazine. It's aim is to be thought provoking, critical of society and humourous. But of course not everyone shares the same sense of humour or the same values so not everyone will like everything Charlie Hebdo produces. You just have to rise above it. They also target Catholics, various cultural points, politics, homophobia etc. But at no point have any of these groups tried to attack the magazine with violence you just rise above it.

ReputationRep:
    If religious people are allowed to speak about their beliefs, non-religious are allowed to criticise or speak about why they don't agree with those beliefs. Accepting freedom of speech means you have to accept that others may offend you, and that you can do nothing about it. You can't have it both ways- one without the other.

Sure, the cartoons were potentially insensitive and disrespectful, but they are well within their rights in expressing those views and the violence is not justified in any way.

ReputationRep:
    I see where you two are coming from. I didn't mean they literally deserved it, but rather that they shouldn't have done the cartoons and this would've never happened. Everyone knows that there are a lot of messed up people acting in the name of Islam (whether they are Muslims or not, I'm not getting into a debate on that) and that you shouldn't mess with those. Messing with messed up people will mess you up.

It's like if I see a violent gang in the night crossing a road on red light, I wouldn't tell them "That's wrong" although it is. I'd use my head and see that they could possibly attack me and just avoid it.
    I see your point but then that is bowing down to the law of the Muslims. Charb who was one of the editors said that he was aware of the sedimental value of the drawings to Muslims but felt that he shouldn't be restricted in his actions just to please a select few. Check some of his quotes on the matter before he was shot on the attack. They are useful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you advocating being rid of the rule of law or installing an Islamist extremist system which I won't call law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solarburst)
    How on earth could you possibly 'expect' such a reaction. Day in day out people and organisations poke fun at Islam causing an 'upset' in the 'Islamic world'. The fact is in France people aren't killed for adultery on a daily basis. This is both what makes it so unusual and so unexpected so to say that they could predict such an outcome is clearly a dumbfounded judgement.
    Yes, they do mock religions all the time. When Denmark published similar cartoons, the entire Islamic world went nuts! And they received several threats as well. Now, Charlie Hebdo's job should've been to know what they are doing. Same with when the Quran burning situation was happening. That's just adding fuel to the fire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marco14196)
    Because a few offensive cartoons immediately should give someone the right to take a large amount of lives because said cartoons don't align to the views of extremists, instead quite openly mocking them. NOT. This attack wasn't warranted, criticism is fine but not a cold act of multiple murders, not like this, not ever.
    Nobody is talking about giving the 'right' to take lives. I agree that it was wrong, but as in my example in the OP, it is simply messing with people that you can't mess with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterwam)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Our prophet went through more punishment and torture that you could ever think of and all he done in response was forgive. Islam condemns murder simple as.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.