Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me on where I can start to derive this expression I'm really curious and I haven't been able to find a way. (The expression that I should have been lead to was A).
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Conservation of momentum.

The initially momentum of the system is zero, as the parent nucleus is stationary. Let v_1 be the velocity of the daughter nucleus, and v_2 be the velocity of the \alpha particle. The mass of the daughter nucleus is M-m.

Thus,

0 = (M-m)v_1 - mv_2

We can derive an expression for v_2 in terms of the kinetic energy E:

E = \dfrac{1}{2}mv_2^2 \, \, \, \Rightarrow \, \, v_2 = \sqrt{\dfrac{2E}{m}}

Subbing this into the first equation:

0 = (M-m)v_1 - m\sqrt{\dfrac{2E}{m}} \, \, \, \Rightarrow \, \, (M-m)v_1 = \sqrt{2mE}

v_1 = \dfrac{\sqrt{2mE}}{(M-m)}

The negative on the RHS of the first equation is due to their opposite directions of motion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phichi)
    Conservation of momentum.

The initially momentum of the system is zero, as the parent nucleus is stationary. Let v_1 be the velocity of the daughter nucleus, and v_2 be the velocity of the \alpha particle. The mass of the daughter nucleus is M-m.

Thus,

0 = (M-m)v_1 - mv_2

We can derive an expression for v_2 in terms of the kinetic energy E:

E = \dfrac{1}{2}mv_2^2 \, \, \, \Rightarrow \, \, v_2 = \sqrt{\dfrac{2E}{m}}

Subbing this into the first equation:

0 = (M-m)v_1 - m\sqrt{\dfrac{2E}{m}} \, \, \, \Rightarrow \, \, (M-m)v_1 = \sqrt{2mE}

v_1 = \dfrac{\sqrt{2mE}}{(M-m)}

The negative on the RHS of the first equation is due to their opposite directions of motion.
    what happened to the two m's when you subbed in v2 into the original equations im confused on how it became Root*(2mE)?

Oh wait never mind I can see how it happens using laws of Indices. Thanks for your help cleared a lot of confusion for me

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.