Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling to make a decision, I have offers to study bsc economics at the university of Leeds and Manchester but I don't know which one to go to. I only got ABB in my AS levels, and the grades I need for Manchester is AAB, and Leeds is ABB ( through access scheme therefore cannot put as insurance). I know they are both Russell group universities but I often see rankings for employers favouring Manchester graduates, however Leeds is ranked higher in others.
    On other discussions I see people mention how Manchester is good for economics but no one really mentions Leeds which worries me . I'm not really fussed about the nightlife as either is going to be amazing compared to what I'm used to.
    the only other thing is that Leeds is a bit further away from home, but I like the courses equally.i also have offers of AAB from Southampton and Cardiff, and Kent ABB as insurance, but I think I'm mainly wanting to go to Leeds or Manchester.
    Hope someone can help! Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LuaneB)
    I'm really struggling to make a decision, I have offers to study bsc economics at the university of Leeds and Manchester but I don't know which one to go to. I only got ABB in my AS levels, and the grades I need for Manchester is AAB, and Leeds is ABB ( through access scheme therefore cannot put as insurance). I know they are both Russell group universities but I often see rankings for employers favouring Manchester graduates, however Leeds is ranked higher in others.
    On other discussions I see people mention how Manchester is good for economics but no one really mentions Leeds which worries me . I'm not really fussed about the nightlife as either is going to be amazing compared to what I'm used to.
    the only other thing is that Leeds is a bit further away from home, but I like the courses equally.i also have offers of AAB from Southampton and Cardiff, and Kent ABB as insurance, but I think I'm mainly wanting to go to Leeds or Manchester.
    Hope someone can help! Thanks
    I dont know much about leeds but I live in manchester and have grown up around the university so I can be of some help.

the economics department at Manchester is supposed to be really good, as is any of the departments linked to the business school (which is pretty massive).

Manchester has a range of affordable student accomodation and is an amazing city for culture (just been ranked 26 out of 52 top places to visit in the world, 2015 by the new york times). It is a large city with a large population (2.6 million roughly) and has a huge range of shopping, nightlife and leisure facilities.

the only downside really for you is the offer, but honestly you would never regret coming to manchester, it is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I did really like the look of Manchester when I visited, planning to visit Leeds in a couple of weeks so that should help ( I hope) haha.
    Just concerned that if I were to put Manchester as my firm and then didn't get in, I would have to go to Kent ( not Russell group) for the same grades I could have gone to Leeds for 😱

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LuaneB)
    I did really like the look of Manchester when I visited, planning to visit Leeds in a couple of weeks so that should help ( I hope) haha.
    Just concerned that if I were to put Manchester as my firm and then didn't get in, I would have to go to Kent ( not Russell group) for the same grades I could have gone to Leeds for ������

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is a very valid reason to choose leeds!

ReputationRep:
    it's a tough decision and I was actually in a similar position last year...I received an unconditional offer from Birmingham, but I had to put them as my firm for it to be unconditional. I knew Birmingham wasn't my favourite uni but was worried I wouldn't get good enough grades to go to a Russell Group uni so Birmingham was my only choice. I actually ended up getting AAA so could've got in anywhere I wanted, and I hated Birmingham, so I've dropped out to do a gap year and want to go to Manchester next year instead, based on visiting my boyfriend there and seeing what Manchester is like!

I wouldn't worry about all this league table stuff and who's better respected. Tables change every year, employers don't care about marginal differences and I can tell you that Manchester and Leeds are both equally very well respected unis, don't let statistics cloud your judgement. Have you looked into the course content at each uni and looked at which modules you'll study? This is probably the most important thing - if you've got a good idea of which modules you're more interested in you can tell which uni's course you'd prefer.

I'd also think about what kind of environment you want to live in at uni - they're both great, similar cities but the uni campuses are slightly different. Manchester is on Oxford Rd, right in the city centre and Man Met is on the same street literally next door. That means it's a really big, vibrant, bustling area with thousands and thousands of students and all kinds of shops, and cheap buses every 2 minutes to take you to any part of manchester within minutes. For me, this environment is perfect, but some people prefer a quieter setting. I can't really tell you much in detail about Leeds as I've only been once, on an open day nearly 2 years ago, but I know it's a campus setting, so nearly all buildings are in a self-contained area and it's a little more isolated, but I think it's just down the road from the city centre, but like I said I can't say for sure!

I'd personally go for Manchester but if you look around Leeds and like it, I'd maybe take the lower offer. The reduced pressure in exam season will be great although don't base your decision on this! And remember if you get ABB chances are Manchester will still take you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Living in Manchester is good ,Leeds is overrated .

ReputationRep:
    Useful general advice on making Firm & Insurance choices here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices

PS. Remember that you dont have to make this decision for MONTHS!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.