Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can I do Sports Science if I havent picked GCSE Physical Education? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 10, I don't do GCSE P.E and I d like to know if you can still do Sports Science, through core Science? Or after GCSE level, can I do sports science even Without PE?

ReputationRep:
    At my school they ask for either biology gcse/ additional science or PE GCSE. But it all depends on your school- just ask a PE teacher
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by FreddieP66)
    I'm in year 10, I don't do GCSE P.E and I d like to know if you can still do Sports Science, through core Science? Or after GCSE level, can I do sports science even Without PE?
    Yes, you definitely can! PE isn't a prerequisite for a sports science degree - but the sciences like biology and chemistry definitely are. If you're taking science, maths and english + any other combo of GCSEs you'll be fine! The more important thing is to remember that sports science is nothing like what you learn in PE.

ReputationRep:
    ah thanks a lot. I am not completely certain on sports science but I know what it is. Could you give me a good insight on it? :holmes:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    ah thanks a lot. I am not completely certain on sports science but I know what it is. Could you give me a good insight on it? :holmes:
    Of course you aren't, you're only 15! I thought I wanted to do something that ended up being very opposite to what I'm doing now.

Sports Science is science applied in the context of sport and exercise, and since these both are complex phenomena, it's very interdisciplinary (it covers a broad range of subjects). You'll study things like physiology (how the body and all its systems work), psychology, motor learning/control (how we learn and control our movements), biochemistry (the chemistry of biological systems), nutrition, coaching, injury, physical activity (from a population perspective), biomechanics (the maths and physics of human movement), and of course, principles of training and exercise to improve sports performance. So you can see that it covers a broad range of stuff and in a lot of ways will be more similar to your non-P.E. classes than it is to PE! A lot of it will be similar to the "human biology" stuff that you do in GCSE and A-level biology, except there's less focus on cells and molecules, and more on larger organ systems. The whole point is that you learn all this stuff and apply it to exercise or sport - so it's learned strictly in that context.

What I remember of GCSE P.E. is that we did a lot of physical activity, with very little theory, and the theory we did do was on vague training principles and super-duper-uber basic physiology. Of course, you do physical activity in sports science as well - you're learning about sport and exercise, so obviously practicals that you do will involve sport and exercise! But unlike P.E. the main focus is on the theory underpinning exercise. It's like most academic subjects where there are really interesting bits, and really boring bits, which you just can't avoid in any degree!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, haha. Thanks for that. Helped a lot. I asked a teacher of mine today if I need PE at GCSE level to go on to Sports Science etc but she said I simply need a B in Science to be able to do PE/Sports Science at A level I think? I'm very confused, thanks for your fantastic help!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Wow, haha. Thanks for that. Helped a lot. I asked a teacher of mine today if I need PE at GCSE level to go on to Sports Science etc but she said I simply need a B in Science to be able to do PE/Sports Science at A level I think? I'm very confused, thanks for your fantastic help!
    Edit: redacted! I don't know the entry requirements for the A-level, only the degree! You'll have to trust your teacher.l!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.