Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I live with my boyfriend in a shared flat owned by his Father with one other flatmate, we recently had a "flat meeting" and after a fairly heated discussion, our flatmates girlfriend said "It is illegal for you to live here, it's called subletting, you're not on the tenancy agreement".

To round it up:
    I live here with the knowledge and permission of our landlord.
    I have not signed any kind of tenancy agreement, contracts or anything of that nature.

She stated as it's subletting, which is illegal (?) and that our Landlord (my boyfriend's father) can get into serious trouble if anyone finds out...?

Can someone please give me some knowledge on this?

ReputationRep:
    It is a contractual matter between you and the landlord, not a matter for the criminal law as she wants you to believe.

However, if your presence interferes with a tenant's reasonable enjoyment of the property, or costs the tenant in extra bills, that tenant might be able to force the landlord to act to remove you.

ReputationRep:
    If she has an issue with it, she should take it up with the landlord directly, not you and your boyfriend. In any case, it's only illegal if there are more persons in the household than are legally allowed to be there. You do not need a written tenancy agreement for it to be a valid agreement.

It would only be subletting if you pay your boyfriend and then your boyfriend pays his father. If you pay rent to the landlord, his father and he does the same then that is not subletting. If you are paying the landlord directly then there is nothing the other person can say as long as there is enough room for you to be legally living there.

Also, to accuse you of subletting when they don't know the ins and outs of your financial arrangements with the landlord of the property is daft on their part. Tell them to speak to the landlord if they have an issue and make sure you're directly paying the landlord. If they are aware of you living there as you claim then this will be no problem.

ReputationRep:
    The way it works is that my boyfriend and flatmate pay rent, with bills on top.
    My boyfriend has agreed with his father that I only have to give my boyfriend whatever money he wants to help him pay the rent and bills, is that a legally acceptable arrangement? Or would it still be illegal to be paying my boyfriend money, despite the arrangement which has been made between the landlord and ourselves?

Our flatmate has not paid his bills in over a year, my boyfriend has had to pay them for him, so I presume that bringing up increased bill money would not be a good idea for my flatmate and would put him in a worse light than myself?

ReputationRep:
    There is no possibility that you are breaking any laws unless the house is overcrowded, which it does not seem to be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.