Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    would you agree it has or it hasn't?

ReputationRep:
    I would say it certainly has. One thing which is totally abhorrent is the use of sexualised imagery by marketeers to sell products - totally immoral, unacceptable and counterproductive to a civilised society. This is where westerners can often be rather be hypocritical when talking about barbaric societies; the concept being that you act on every whim and then pick up the pieces later (coffee coloured kids, STI, pregs, obesity, alcoholism, banks greed etc). The Saudis realise that the only way to counter these dreadful impulses is with discipline and force, and this is why Sharia law certainly has some merits.

ReputationRep:
    ok, so personal responsibility lends with stopping women driving....got it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 91_House)
    I would say it certainly has. One thing which is totally abhorrent is the use of sexualised imagery by marketeers to sell products - totally immoral, unacceptable and counterproductive to a civilised society. This is where westerners can often be rather be hypocritical when talking about barbaric societies; the concept being that you act on every whim and then pick up the pieces later (coffee coloured kids, STI, pregs, obesity, alcoholism, banks greed etc). The Saudis realise that the only way to counter these dreadful impulses is with discipline and force, and this is why Sharia law certainly has some merits.
    I can see STIs and unwanted pregnancies, but how are obesity, alcoholism, and greedy bankers caused by a sexually open society, and what's wrong with coffee-coloured kids?

ReputationRep:
    On one hand I'm a bit of a prude, preferring that people keep things in the bedroom. But on the other hand I realise that without proper open debate of sexual matters in society we'd be stuck with unhealthy perceptions of it, and acceptance of homosexuality would be years behind. Yes we should educate people about safe sex within healthy relationships and about consent, all that is essential. But that doesn't mean I want to open a newspaper and see a pair of tits in it or read explicit details about someone's sex life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    what's wrong with coffee-coloured kids?

It's a moral judgement as to whether or not you're in favour, but we've moved in to Brave New World as described by Aldous Huxley, without the genetic engineering (yet). The idea being to generate higher consumerism by creating damaged individuals (no self restraint, to have sex with anything that moves) from birth, to sell them the antidote later on in life (the pill, condoms, whatever). Promiscuity has been encouraged, at the same time abandoning monogamy and self-restraint. Strong relationships between men and women have diminished.

Now it's up to you if you think it's gone "too far", but you can't answer in the affirmative unless you value strong family values.

ReputationRep:
    In some ways things have gone too far, in my view.

Women dressing sexually provocative is often seen as a fashion statement. I don't believe however that for many, they are genuinely naive as to see themselves as merely making a fashion statement. They know full well how it manipulates men. Men are extremely visual creatures, and very sexual. Those who dress provocatively are using their sexuality to manipulate men and obtain power over them, and often basking in the attention they receive from drooling men for an ego boost.

It's only when the side-effects of their manipulations have a negative effect on them, such as by losing the respect of people, harming their own prospects of a long-term relationship, and attracting psychos, that they scream victimhood.

"Misled by the naive optimism and “You go, girl!” boosterism of their upbringing, young women do not see the animal eyes glowing at them in the dark. They assume that bared flesh and sexy clothes are just a fashion statement containing no messages that might be misread and twisted by a psychotic. They do not understand the fragility of civilization and the constant nearness of savage nature." - Camille Paglia

Stand by for fireworks...

ReputationRep:
    Tricky to be objective in this one in some ways, if it HAS gone to far then a great deal of us would struggle to notice it seeing how we're part of that society.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.