Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pseudo-intellectuals watch

ReputationRep:
    I think I conform to the stereotypical pseudo-intellect.

I'm not naturally bright but I can bs my way through just about anything. I know nothing of any real value but I've watched enough documentaries to talk around pretty much any subject matter with full confidence that I can justify the things I say.

I come to realise as I was once interviewing for a financial institution and was asked how I would invest £100,000, from a news article I related back to him. I spouted a lot of garbage about portfolio theory and threw around some very convincing microeconomic terminology. In my mind I knew I was chatting complete rubbish but technically it made perfectly viable sense from the theoretical **** I was saying.

The attributes of a pseudo-intellect:

Spoiler:
    Show
    1. One who attempts to flex intellect that does not exist within his or her own mind.

2. Can probably be found with a thesaurus in hand, while in a chat room, looking up new insults that are synonymous with "stupid" in order to boost his or her own undeserved ego.

3. Typical cases of pseudo-intellectualism involve pre-pubescent 15 year olds that think they have everything figured out, including, but not limited to: life, religion, politics, education, and sex. Ironically, they have never quite experienced either of the aforementioned.

4. Pretends he or she has an opinion.

5. Posseses a severe tendency to blindly and wholeheartedly believe any bull**** they hear, only to subsequently regurgitate the misinformation to anyone they see in an asinine attempt to appear more intelligent than a used, broken condom.

6. Should the victim of the verbal onslaught happen to have a differing opinion, the pseudo-intellectual will revert to his or her thesaurus and insult the opposition with words he or she never knew existed, and probably cannot even pronounce.

7. Annoyingly and constantly refers to the word antidisestablishmentarianism, as if knowledge of said word defined his or her illegitimately high intelligence quotient.

8. Typically a hypocrite; creates many, many contradictions. Most online grammar/spelling Nazis can relate.

9. Always ends a bull**** "argument" with, "I win, so stfu." Win what, dip****s? Your opinions weren't fact in the first place.

Who else attributes this type of behaviour?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I certainly demonstrate a few of these points.

I have a penchant for fooling people into thinking I know what I'm talking about. The thing is, if people think you are intelligent and you can get away with it enough, isn't that enough?

Maybe becoming a politician.. although I'd have to be interested in anything like that to begin with.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I can talk my way out of most things. When I was younger I would sometimes make up elaborate untruths to wind people up.

I'm not very good with off-the-cuff speeches or remembering the specifics of events that occurred in the past.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the time, pseudo-intellectualism coincides with being an arrogant left-wing hipster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    A lot of the time, pseudo-intellectualism coincides with being an arrogant left-wing hipster.
    :rofl: So true!

ReputationRep:
    who has the time tho? i mean have you ever tried to form an opinion on something based purely on experimental data? its hard as hell lol: there are so many things to consider. most of my opinions are just slightly adjusted versions of the popular opinion/opposite of the popular opinion.

~a (slightly indignant) pseudointellectual

ReputationRep:
    A majority if not all of these seem attributive to anyone whom you frame in such a way. Especially on a forum like this it's easy to orchestrate your own argument in such a way. Truth is, a lot of it is wholly contextual to the individuals involved. A vast majority don't have a compleat understanding of what they discuss here or in real life, and oft the actual slander is dictated by whom has the best form of pathos. Not who has the greater sagacity on the subject matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    it helps if you wear glasses.

ReputationRep:
    Id say 97% of this forum adhere to these attributes.

ReputationRep:
    But surely if you can blag having intelligence you must be clever in the first place, I don't see how you can fake it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "pre-pubescent 15 year olds that think they have everything figured out, including, but not limited to: life, religion, politics, education, and sex"

particularly describes me, par the pre and 15 year old bit.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you pop over into any Religion thread about evolution you can see a lot of Psuedo-intellectual evolution deniers thinking their understanding of evolution and science eclipses others who have dedicated years of their life to understand it.

MUH GRUNDUD WAS NO MONKEY!!!

ReputationRep:
    Not me. I'm a genuine intellectual, not a pseudo-intellectual. Suck on that, peasants.

No seriously, I think the internet tends to do that to people, especially young people (early-mid teens). They have access to lots of information but often don't yet realise that some websites and newspapers are unreliable, so they may end up repeating something that isn't true or is exaggerated. I remember getting angry at things reported in the Daily Mail when I was younger, like specific crimes they had reported on. Now I look at them and think "this sounds bad but am I getting the whole story here".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.