Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I've just had a bit of a panic as I have looked at my turnitin score for one of my assignments. When I submitted it said 31% and now it says 38%! I know that's high, which is making me worried... The other ones I submitted scored 20% and 25%.

I'm just concerned about this one of 38%... I have cited everything properly (as far I know)

But is this do that with that it is compared with everyone else's work submitted to my uni as well?

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    Yowzer! How is it that high?

Ours had to be below 10% for it to be consider not plagiarised.

I would be worried tbh :/ should maybe talk to the prof you submitted it to?

ReputationRep:
    Once everyone else starts submitting the same assignment then turnitin can't differentiate between them all. Have you clicked on exclude refs and quotes?
    Your score should not be higher than about 30%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olderandwiser23)
    Yowzer! How is it that high?

Ours had to be below 10% for it to be consider not plagiarised.

I would be worried tbh :/ should maybe talk to the prof you submitted it to?
    I have emailed them, it's made up of loads of 3%'s and 1%'s compared to other work submitted to uni's

My first assignment was submitted in November and we get it back on the 19th, if there was a problem they would have let me know.. right??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mullers)
    I have emailed them, it's made up of loads of 3%'s and 1%'s compared to other work submitted to uni's

My first assignment was submitted in November and we get it back on the 19th, if there was a problem they would have let me know.. right??

As a first assessment they might not have cares but now the second one is higher they might care. I guess you can either go and speak to someone and say you're worried or wait it out. I would personally talk to someone. Shows you're proactive

ReputationRep:
    As a first assessment they might not have cares but now the second one is higher they might care. I guess you can either go and speak to someone and say you're worried or wait it out. I would personally talk to someone. Shows you're proactive
    What has annoyed me is that I've had to submit 2 more assignments without feedback on my first one, so I don't know if I was doing everything right!

Yeah, I'm still waiting for a reply and I'll call them if not.

My tutor (not my lecturer) said that anything below 30% was usually ok! Confused and concerned now

Could this be really bad? I mean all of the highlighted stuff is what I have referenced and cited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    Once everyone else starts submitting the same assignment then turnitin can't differentiate between them all. Have you clicked on exclude refs and quotes?
    Your score should not be higher than about 30%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do I set the other options to?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    What has annoyed me is that I've had to submit 2 more assignments without feedback on my first one, so I don't know if I was doing everything right!

Yeah, I'm still waiting for a reply and I'll call them if not.

My tutor (not my lecturer) said that anything below 30% was usually ok! Confused and concerned now

Could this be really bad? I mean all of the highlighted stuff is what I have referenced and cited
    You should be fine. But as a rule of thumb when writing assignments you aim for about a reference every 100-200 words. And always reference. Then you need to ensure that you have followed the unis chosen system of referencing.
    But if you're worried see you tutor or your uni's guidance centre who will have people to help with assignments etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    You should be fine. But as a rule of thumb when writing assignments you aim for about a reference every 100-200 words. And always reference. Then you need to ensure that you have followed the unis chosen system of referencing.
    But if you're worried see you tutor or your uni's guidance centre who will have people to help with assignments etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, it has chilled me down a bit... I will contact my lecturer and ask what I should do next time... and I think I reference too much... i.e. I make a point, reference it and either back it up with another or compare with another (if that makes sense)

My course is on community football and development, so I'm not the most academic person you will meet

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, it has chilled me down a bit... I will contact my lecturer and ask what I should do next time... and I think I reference too much... i.e. I make a point, reference it and either back it up with another or compare with another (if that makes sense)

My course is on community football and development, so I'm not the most academic person you will meet
    Dw it's not about academics it's just a skill you need to learn. Perhaps see if your uni/college has a drop in session to learn about referencing correctly. A lot of places offer like a little tutorial to help you go through the dos and don'ts

ReputationRep:
    Dw it's not about academics it's just a skill you need to learn. Perhaps see if your uni/college has a drop in session to learn about referencing correctly. A lot of places offer like a little tutorial to help you go through the dos and don'ts
    Ok thank you... hopefully I will be ok...

ReputationRep:
    So basically, turnitin checks your work against others... not if you have plagiarized? (that is up to the lecturer/marker)

ReputationRep:
    So basically, turnitin checks your work against others... not if you have plagiarized? (that is up to the lecturer/marker)

It checks it for plagiarism against a database of writings eg journals, papers, other essays etc

ReputationRep:
    It checks it for plagiarism against a database of writings eg journals, papers, other essays etc
    Ok cool,

I had this reply 'It can be down to a few things Jake, including what you have mentioned. Don’t worry about it – I’m sure that you have compiled the work in the correct manner'.

That has made me feel a bit better

ReputationRep:
    If your work is original then you should be in the clear to argue your case should anything go wrong. Definitely get in touch with your lecturer and explain the situation. The percentage similarity can vary massively depending on how many references or common required materials you have had to use.

As long as you haven't cheated, worry not. Explain the facts and you'll be alright. Turnitin is there to ensure that you haven't just copied and pasted a ton of someone else's work or gone a step further and pasted with some word changes. If the work is similar but original, that's absolutely fine. You're only worried because you want to do well and not to get penalised for something that you didn't do wrong! Don't worry, friend.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    No ,it does not. Let's get this right because I keep reading comments that are technically wrong.
    Turnitin is a text matcher. Nothing more and nothing less. To establish whether any highlighted text matching is plagiarism requires further specific work by an assessor. Hopefully one experienced enough that their findings are justified. However, let's be clear the judgement is still subjective to the individual making it. One simply hopes that subjective view is reliable because of the experience behind it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.