The Student Room Group

Did I make a mistake in UCAS?

Right-o. *clears throat*

Well, here's the story. I applied to LSE, UCL, Cambridge, Durham, and Glasgow. And I think I might get in to at most three of the five (Glasgow, Cambridge, and Durham). Oh, by the way, I'm studying law. I chose the unis based on position in the league tables.

I was honestly thinking about choosing Glasgow, but now I'm not so sure. Honestly, I'm so afraid of that bloody city that I'm about to lose control of my bowels. And the university---I'm not so sure I can stand the culture; perhaps I should have chosen Edinburgh.

First of all, I really don't want to turn tail and run if I'm asked which footie team I support. I like football and all (although I LOVE rugby) but I don't want to end up with a Glasgow Smile because some bloody Celtic fan decides he hates anything with an orange tinge to it, including my clothes.

And then I'm a Tory. Yes, yes, you can laugh about the Tory Rangers supporter, but really. I'm aware of that old joke about U of Glasgow being for Commies etc. I don't want to go to a university where the choice in politics is between Labour and SNP. I hate Labour with a passion, and would dearly love to see a scandal involving Ed Silliband. And SNP? Urgh, something smells fishy, and I HATE the smell of fish (except proper fish like trout).

The fact that Glasgow is the murder capital of Europe scares me. I don't want to fear for my life.

Did I make a mistake selecting Glasgow? It's looking really appealing to me (due to a quirk in my citizenship, I can get free tuition like a Scotchman, and I like Civil Law), but the stereotypes are frankly scaring me.
(edited 9 years ago)
They're only stereotypes - Glasgow is a lovely city. Sure some parts are rough but isn't that the same anywhere?

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest