Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I took my GCSE's in the summer of May/June 2014, due to things going on in my life at the time I ended up missing a lot of exams at the time or not doing well in most that I took. I am at my local college now doing great and I am retaking my Maths GCSE in college because they have a whole department for English and Maths resits, but I would like to retake two more exams that I failed and missed, mainly I would like to resit my Science GCSE for the career I want to go into.

Looking around I have learned about becoming a private candidate but I can't find too much information out there about what's going on. I don't think my college can really help me a lot here so I was hoping that maybe someone on here who had some sort of understanding of I could and would have to do being a private candidate?

Any help would be really great!
    Thanks! )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly1798)
    So I took my GCSE's in the summer of May/June 2014, due to things going on in my life at the time I ended up missing a lot of exams at the time or not doing well in most that I took. I am at my local college now doing great and I am retaking my Maths GCSE in college because they have a whole department for English and Maths resits, but I would like to retake two more exams that I failed and missed, mainly I would like to resit my Science GCSE for the career I want to go into.

Looking around I have learned about becoming a private candidate but I can't find too much information out there about what's going on. I don't think my college can really help me a lot here so I was hoping that maybe someone on here who had some sort of understanding of I could and would have to do being a private candidate?

Any help would be really great!
    Thanks! )
    I was in a similar boat to you during my gap year.
    My recommendation is that if your school/sixth-form college doesn't let you resit them as a private candidate the only alternative is to find another local college nearby and ask if they would allow you to resit your GCSEs as a private candidate. They will normally charge you quite a hefty amount so be prepared as you won't just be paying the costs of the paper fee but also the fee for administration which profits that particular college.

My local college charged £55/paper as a private candidate. So expect roughly a similar fee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holly1798)
    but I would like to retake two more exams that I failed and missed, mainly I would like to resit my Science GCSE for the career I want to go into.

Looking around I have learned about becoming a private candidate but I can't find too much information out there about what's going on. I don't think my college can really help me a lot here so I was hoping that maybe someone on here who had some sort of understanding of I could and would have to do being a private candidate? )
    Any exam centre (=any secondary school or college) can accept you as a private candidate but the cheapest one is likely to be where you are so ask them first. The price the exam boards charge the centre for a GCSE is around £30 but expect to pay some extra for admin and invigilation. If you have already taken Science GCSE then stick to the saem exam board and you can carry forward the controlled assessment and just re-sit the exams - this should be simpler and much cheaper than starting from scratch. The same applies to controlled assessment for any other GCSE.

I suggest you go and talk to the exams officer at your college about whether you can re-sit there (make sure you know which exam boards and specifications you want to take.) The entry deadline for this summer is 21 february (at the exam board) but the centre will probably want to finalise things earlier than that so go sooner rather than later.

Use BBC Bitesize, CGP guides and other stuff recommended here to learn the work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    I was in a similar boat to you during my gap year.
    My recommendation is that if your school/sixth-form college doesn't let you resit them as a private candidate the only alternative is to find another local college nearby and ask if they would allow you to resit your GCSEs as a private candidate. They will normally charge you quite a hefty amount so be prepared as you won't just be paying the costs of the paper fee but also the fee for administration which profits that particular college.

My local college charged £55/paper as a private candidate. So expect roughly a similar fee.
    Thanks for the help! I was definitely expecting some sort of price to come in with it but I'm hoping when I speak to my college advisor tomorrow she will be able to give me a straight up answer before it gets to late to enter.

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.