Turn on thread page Beta

Ipod for £25...what's the real deal? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, you must have all seen those sites advertising an Ipod for £25. Only to find out that you have to wait for 20 people to join before you get yours. But supposing we all went on mass to one of these sites....you reckon we could all get ourselves an ipod pretty quickly? who's up for it? I have a site address that seems to move pretty fast...i.e. the person at the top joined on the 4th May this year and is getting themselves a 40gb Ipod NOW!

There is a feature that if you refer people then both you and the person get to Queue jump up the line....we could bombard them with each other's addresses and all would be jolly.

Anyone interested? pm me.

x x x

ReputationRep:
    but we'd run out of people fast... like in pyramid schemes :eek: . sounds iffy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    but we'd run out of people fast... like in pyramid schemes :eek: . sounds iffy.
    quote from webiste...

Is this a MLM or pyramid scheme?
    No, it is neither. This is a straight line matrix system, unlike MLM you don't need to recruit other members to ensure you will receive your free gift. Although the option is there if you would like to reduce your waiting time. You will be purchasing a CD and not a place on the matrix list. Your choice of item should be considered as a free gift.

I think these sites are a lil dodgy if you join them alone, but if you knew that loadsa other people are going to join then it must be pretty safe. it could be like a UKL tradition...join and get an ipod

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    quote from webiste...

Is this a MLM or pyramid scheme?
    No, it is neither. This is a straight line matrix system, unlike MLM you don't need to recruit other members to ensure you will receive your free gift. Although the option is there if you would like to reduce your waiting time. You will be purchasing a CD and not a place on the matrix list. Your choice of item should be considered as a free gift.

I think these sites are a lil dodgy if you join them alone, but if you knew that loadsa other people are going to join then it must be pretty safe. it could be like a UKL tradition...join and get an ipod
    Righty-O.

ReputationRep:
    My brother tried one of these schemes. The website was in breach of paypal's contract and were shut down. The site still said they were going to send what he purchased; he's still yet to receive it. If it sounds too good to be true; it most likely is.

ReputationRep:
    And why dosn't every member of UKL give me £10, I will invest it and tripple your money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    And why dosn't every member of UKL give me £10, I will invest it and tripple your money.
    cus that would only be £30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    cus that would only be £30
    Well give me £1000 and I will give you £5000 back (as I have much more to invest).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    Ok, you must have all seen those sites advertising an Ipod for £25. Only to find out that you have to wait for 20 people to join before you get yours. But supposing we all went on mass to one of these sites....you reckon we could all get ourselves an ipod pretty quickly? who's up for it? I have a site address that seems to move pretty fast...i.e. the person at the top joined on the 4th May this year and is getting themselves a 40gb Ipod NOW!

There is a feature that if you refer people then both you and the person get to Queue jump up the line....we could bombard them with each other's addresses and all would be jolly.

Anyone interested? pm me.

x x x
    CON

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidori)
    CON
    DOM?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't work. Most of the Ipod / Mobilephone schemes are matrix schemes, which while not as bad a pyramid schemes are still not self sustaining. The con is that you don't need 20 people to joing to get the i pod - you need 20 x the number of people already in the queue. And the longer the queue is, the less likely anyone else is going to join.

Assume it takes 20 people for one person to get the phone. 1 person signs up and then 19 more. The first person now gets his phone. But the 20th person to sign up needs 200 people to sign up to get his phone. It is unlikely 200 people would join the list, but lets say they did. for the 200th person to get their phone they need 4000 sign ups. and for the 4000th person - 80000 sign ups - thats more members than UKL has! It's not as bad as a pyramid scheme or a multi level matrix (both of which are often illegal) but it's still pretty difficult to keep the list going.

If you get in quickly (say top 5) then you might have a chace (this would require 100 sign ups) though above that you are unlikely to get a product. And if you do, you are benefiting from all those lower down in the queue who never will...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    It wouldn't work. Most of the Ipod / Mobilephone schemes are matrix schemes, which while not as bad a pyramid schemes are still not self sustaining. The con is that you don't need 20 people to joing to get the i pod - you need 20 x the number of people already in the queue. And the longer the queue is, the less likely anyone else is going to join.

Assume it takes 20 people for one person to get the phone. 1 person signs up and then 19 more. The first person now gets his phone. But the 20th person to sign up needs 200 people to sign up to get his phone. It is unlikely 200 people would join the list, but lets say they did. for the 200th person to get their phone they need 4000 sign ups. and for the 4000th person - 80000 sign ups - thats more members than UKL has! It's not as bad as a pyramid scheme or a multi level matrix (both of which are often illegal) but it's still pretty difficult to keep the list going.

If you get in quickly (say top 5) then you might have a chace (this would require 100 sign ups) though above that you are unlikely to get a product. And if you do, you are benefiting from all those lower down in the queue who never will...

good point, ok so I'm living in a dream world...dammit,no matter how hard I try I simply CANNOT get a free ipod! If I can get to the very top of a 20gb list would u recommend it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    good point, ok so I'm living in a dream world...dammit,no matter how hard I try I simply CANNOT get a free ipod! If I can get to the very top of a 20gb list would u recommend it?
    There are ways to get free (or very cheap stuff), but like all other good ideas, they only work if you are the only one that knows about it. There are ideas that genuinely are too good to be true - but if somwone offers to sell you one it can't be that good.

Getting to the top of the list is a catch 22 situation. To get a free product you need to be at the top of the list, but you also need a long list of people after you to ensure you actually get a product. This would mean you would need to join a matrix scheme you knew other people were going to join. These schemes have been around a while and if people get wise to the fact they wont get a free product they'll stop joining.

I would say it's not worth the risk, the only person who is sure to make any money is the one operating the scheme and even then they could get into trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    this guy is gonna get an ipod for free very soon http://www.geofftech.co.uk/50pence/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    this guy is gonna get an ipod for free very soon http://www.geofftech.co.uk/50pence/
    thats a good idea!

so, anyone wanna give me 50p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    I sent him 50p via paypal back in feb - I'm number 251 if you want to have a look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soulfish)
    I sent him 50p via paypal back in feb - I'm number 251 if you want to have a look
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo... dont let the cheap skate get a free ipod

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soulfish)
    so this is like a charity thing>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    so this is like a charity thing>
    more of a cheap-skate than a charity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    I sent him an actual 50p too, I'm number 444. He's getting close!

You should read on there about when he tried posting a banana...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.