Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i know this is probably the most cliche and oft-repeated question that's been asked on this site, but i've basically got a problem. my GCSEs are far below average - A* for English, and English Lit. A for Bio, Math, and ICT. Bs for Statistics, Chemistry and Physics - my boyfriend had passed away at the time, but I can't get a letter of special circumstance as he was not directly related to me. I know these results aren't anywhere close to what a good British student gets.

For A-Levels, I've got A*AA*A predictions at English Lit, Economics, Psychology and Mathematics respectively.

I'd like to do English at a good uni, not Oxbridge, but perhaps Durham, or Exeter.
    I'm an international student - which I'm not sure whether it works in my favour or otherwise.

Anyhow - what are my chances of getting into one of the top unis (Durham/Warwick/Exeter) with such tame GCSEs.

Could I hope?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade Shah)
    i know this is probably the most cliche and oft-repeated question that's been asked on this site, but i've basically got a problem. my GCSEs are far below average - A* for English, and English Lit. A for Bio, Math, and ICT. Bs for Statistics, Chemistry and Physics - my boyfriend had passed away at the time, but I can't get a letter of special circumstance as he was not directly related to me. I know these results aren't anywhere close to what a good British student gets.

For A-Levels, I've got A*AA*A predictions at English Lit, Economics, Psychology and Mathematics respectively.

I'd like to do English at a good uni, not Oxbridge, but perhaps Durham, or Exeter.
    I'm an international student - which I'm not sure whether it works in my favour or otherwise.

Anyhow - what are my chances of getting into one of the top unis (Durham/Warwick/Exeter) with such tame GCSEs.

Could I hope?
    With those grades, u should be able to go to the unis. If u check their websites, they will tell u abt the entry requirements. Most unis want A*- Cs at GCSE, and for ur course they might want at least a B in English, check they entry requirements and it will say if u need to gain a certain grade in any subjects.
    Hope i helped

ReputationRep:
    your gcses are above the average 'british' child, you should have no problem for any uni bar oxbridge.
    You probaly got that notion from all the tsr kids who claim to have 1000A*.
    2A*3A 3B is good, you want to do englsh and you got 2 A*, also those a level predictions are great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whydoidothis?)
    your gcses are above the average 'british' child, you should have no problem for any uni bar oxbridge.
    2A*3A 3B is good, you want to do englsh and you got 2 A*, also those a level predictions are great.
    thank you! yeah that's exactly where i got that notion - the average here seems to be like 10-13A*s - and these people aren't even going into Medicine

ReputationRep:
    your gcse are excellent and will get you into most unis. with durham you just don't know as only 1 in 3 get offers but you have nothing to lose by applying there. what I suggest is that in addition to durham and Exeter you choose 2 unis that are sllghtly less competitive. don't make these and say lse Bristol ucl and warwick as your 5 choices

ReputationRep:
    but i've basically got a problem. my GCSEs are far below average - A* for English, and English Lit. A for Bio, Maths, and ICT. Bs for Statistics, Chemistry and Physics -
    That's far from "far below average" and you know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whydoidothis?)
    They're above average for any child, although given GCSEs are British, they're the only ones that take them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can hope.

I achieved similar grades to you at GCSE's and was predicted A*AA, which I achieved for A levels.

I know Oxbridge and the like put high emphasis on all A* GCSE's, but the teacher I did my application with had heard from Durham that they don't look down on 'tame' GCSE's, as long as you can demonstrate an upward trend of academic progression from that point, which, from your predicted grades, looks very promising.

She basically said in other words that if you have an upward progression, you haven't fully reached your potential yet, and your peak is still yet to come in your university career which is therefore favourable for the uni, whereas those who have achieved consistent grades may well have already peaked in terms of their ability, and then may trend downwards as a result.

ReputationRep:

Could I hope?
    People with similar GCSE profiles have applied succesfully to 'top' unis including Oxbridge - particularly Cambridge which places more emphasis on high UMS at AS and A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f11991)
    That's far from "far below average" and you know it.
    well they are quite below average at my school - and people on here basically have over 9A*s - hence why i felt thus. im not sure if the population of tsr have higher grades though - i think that's the case
    also in relation to your other comment - by "british", i meant students from britain who take the GCSEs - international kids also take GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    well they are quite below average at my school - and people on here basically have over 9A*s - hence why i felt thus. im not sure if the population of tsr have higher grades though - i think that's the case
    also in relation to your other comment - by "british", i meant students from britain who take the GCSEs - international kids also take GCSEs
    The majority of TSR don't have those grades, just the vocal minority! Loads of normal students use it too. Best of luck, I think they'd be mad to reject you with those excellent A level grades

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.