Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to check my understanding of a question I'm doing that I do not have the answers to.

In the question, you are first asked to find some missing quantities after air flows into a turbine assuming the process is isentropic and initial velocity is 0. The next part of the question then asks you how would the stagnation temperature, static temperature and discharge velocity be different if the process is adiabatic but irreversible.

The way I think about it: the power output has to be lower than before. So mCp(T02-TO1) has to be smaller in magnitude. I think initial stagnation temperature stays the same as the initial conditions have not changed so discharge stagnation temperature has to increase.

Since stagnation temperature = static temperature + Velocity squared/2Cp
    Either static temperature or velocity has to increase as well. Since it is irreversible, the discharge velocity has to be less than before, so the discharge static temperature has to have increased.

If the above is correct, I just don't quite understand why the temperature rises when the output power is lower. Does that mean there is more energy losses as heat to the surroundings rather than converted to kinetic energy?

ReputationRep:
    Bump for above, I really need help please.

Another thing I cannot understand, is why the equation on the change of specific enthalpy (h2-h1)=Cp(T2-T1) applies for all processes when it is derived using an equation that only works for constant pressure? (W=p(V2-V1)?

Thanks in advance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.