Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BBC's Horizon: The Truth About Exercise Watch

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    This is quite an old documentary now that was re-aired on BBC4 quite recently, so I thought this'd be a good time to bring it up again! Very good watch for anyone trying to use exercise to lose weight as part of their new year's resolution. You can watch it on iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...about-exercise

I think Michael Mosley is a great presenter, and the documentary touches on many key points for weight loss that some people forget about:
    • Your diet is just as important, if not more important, as exercise. Some people unconsciously "load up" on calorific foods following a bout of exercise and undo the effort! If you want to lose weight, you have to control your diet.
    • If you're trying to lose weight, it has to be a lifestyle change, not just a short-term exercise regime and a fad diet. The changes you make should be manageable and easily incorporated into your current lifestyle such that you can see yourself continuing to do for "decades to come"
    • Exercising in the gym isn't the only way to burn more calories! Daily, frequent moderate exercise such as walking is a huge contributor to your caloric expenditure - walking around more by parking further away, taking the stairs, and getting out of the chair for a 5 minute walk every hour is an important and simple way to increase your daily physical activity. Try to minimise time spent sitting down when you could be standing up or moving! It's not just about burning calories: even something as simple as increasing your amount of walking has other health benefits. Frequent walking is an important part of anyone's physical activity profile.

Very apt time for BBC4 to re-air it if you ask me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    This is quite an old documentary now that was re-aired on BBC4 quite recently, so I thought this'd be a good time to bring it up again! Very good watch for anyone trying to use exercise to lose weight as part of their new year's resolution. You can watch it on iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...about-exercise

I think Michael Mosley is a great presenter, and the documentary touches on many key points for weight loss that some people forget about:
    • Your diet is just as important, if not more important, as exercise. Some people unconsciously "load up" on calorific foods following a bout of exercise and undo the effort! If you want to lose weight, you have to control your diet.
    • If you're trying to lose weight, it has to be a lifestyle change, not just a short-term exercise regime and a fad diet. The changes you make should be manageable and easily incorporated into your current lifestyle such that you can see yourself continuing to do for "decades to come"
    • Exercising in the gym isn't the only way to burn more calories! Daily, frequent moderate exercise such as walking is a huge contributor to your caloric expenditure - walking around more by parking further away, taking the stairs, and getting out of the chair for a 5 minute walk every hour is an important and simple way to increase your daily physical activity. Try to minimise time spent sitting down when you could be standing up or moving! It's not just about burning calories: even something as simple as increasing your amount of walking has other health benefits. Frequent walking is an important part of anyone's physical activity profile.

Very apt time for BBC4 to re-air it if you ask me!
    Not seen it. Posting partly to remind myself to check it out when home later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.