The Student Room Group

Home study A levels

Hi, I'm 16 years old and I've been out of school for around 3 years due to ill health, so because of that I have no GCSEs. I've spoen to 6th forms and colleges in my area, no one can help. I've been looking at distance learning and found the National Extension College, I'm planning on taking some A levels with them but it's quite expensive. Has anyone used the NEC before, would you recommend them? Can anyone suggest something else?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. :redface: Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you :h:
Reply 2
Original post by MadOne
Hi, I'm 16 years old and I've been out of school for around 3 years due to ill health, so because of that I have no GCSEs. I've spoen to 6th forms and colleges in my area, no one can help. I've been looking at distance learning and found the National Extension College, I'm planning on taking some A levels with them but it's quite expensive. Has anyone used the NEC before, would you recommend them? Can anyone suggest something else?

As an exams officer I have dealt with a lot of private candidates who have studied with various distance learning providers. Based on that, I wouldn't touch ICS with a barge pole. NEC seemed one of the best.
Reply 3
Depends also what subjects - if it is a science it can be tricky to find exam centres, so a course such as the ones offered by these people may help...
http://onlinestore.pembrokeshire.ac.uk/
Reply 4
also if you have no GCSEs and plan eventually to go onto higher ed or even most jobs, you need to think about maths and english GCSE level qualifications too
You can study IGCSEs in the UK which are exam based qualifications.

I would recommend that you at least achieve a GCSE qualification in English and Maths as a starting point and then consider your A Levels from there.

Matthew
LearnOnline | Pembrokeshire College

Quick Reply

Latest