The Student Room Group

Deadline tomorrow and don't have a reference yet, what do I do?

Have been stupid leaving the application until last minute and don't have a reference yet.

Finished college in 2013 but thought I should still try to get a reference from my relevant subject teacher. However, I have not been able to get in contact with him as he hasn't sent me an e-mail since I requested he contact me but will probably try to speak to him on the phone tomorrow and hope to get a reference from him within a few hours of asking.

I have a part-time job at the moment but the company I work for outsources for different people every time so I have a different boss each time. I could ask my employer but she barely sees me.

How bad would it be to not have a reference? Would I just not stand a chance or can I give a valid excuse?

Is it worth applying late after the deadline once I get a reference?
(edited 9 years ago)
I wouldn't risk applying late, as they might dismiss your application altogether. I think you should state that you haven't got a reference yet in your application, and then send it in once it's ready.
Reply 2
Original post by ucaspanic9
Have been stupid leaving the application until last minute and don't have a reference yet.

Finished college in 2013 but thought I should still try to get a reference from my relevant subject teacher. However, I have not been able to get in contact with him as he hasn't sent me an e-mail since I requested he contact me but will probably try to speak to him on the phone tomorrow and hope to get a reference from him within a few hours of asking.

I have a part-time job at the moment but the company I work for outsources for different people every time so I have a different boss each time. I could ask my employer but she barely sees me.

How bad would it be to not have a reference? Would I just not stand a chance or can I give a valid excuse?

Is it worth applying late after the deadline once I get a reference?

Try going and getting a reference filled in person on the spot from the college call in sick if need be it's very likely you'll make it by the ucas deadline 15/01/2015 18:00 if you do it this way rather then acting like a call centre...
Reply 3
Original post by sdvds
Try going and getting a reference filled in person on the spot from the college call in sick if need be it's very likely you'll make it by the ucas deadline 15/01/2015 18:00 if you do it this way rather then acting like a call centre...

While this does sound like a good idea, I'm not sure how I would go about doing it. My possible referee will be teaching through some of the day tomorrow so I would literally have to go and ask him in person to do it there and then either in his break or after lessons. The college I went to was very strict about letting people in apart from students and teachers so I don't think I would even be able to get on the grounds just to get a reference. Even if I did, I can't imagine just standing there or waiting somewhere while he fills it in.

Original post by Sempiternitas
I wouldn't risk applying late, as they might dismiss your application altogether. I think you should state that you haven't got a reference yet in your application, and then send it in once it's ready.

Might have to do this. Where on my application would I state that I don't have a reference yet? Is it possible to add a reference at a later date after it has been submitted?
Reply 4
maybe nextime you won't leave things to last min without checking.. good luck @ucaspanic9

Might have to do this. Where on my application would I state that I don't have a reference yet? Is it possible to add a reference at a later date after it has been submitted?
You can't submit it without a reference. You will have to go to your college and beg them to do it. You may be lucky and they may have a reference on file which they can add. If not, you are reliant on the goodwill and time of the head of sixth form, or equivalent person. You can submit an application late, and some universities will consider you, but not without a reference so get your most persuasive hat on and go and plead.

I haven't seen a UCAS form in ages but I thought there might be somewhere you can put in a note? If not it's best that you phone up or email your universities explaining that your reference will come in later.
Listen just go to the college sixth form as a guest I'm sure they have guest passes. Then go and speak to the reception and get them to call your tutor or go and see him directly and ask for a reference. They will have the reference from last year and they can edit it if they want. You then request a reference and they will attach it
Original post by Sempiternitas
I haven't seen a UCAS form in ages but I thought there might be somewhere you can put in a note? If not it's best that you phone up or email your universities explaining that your reference will come in later.

The application won't submit without one.

OP, you can call and ask the universities if they will consider you with no reference, but as you will see from another thread on this subject from yesterday, the answer will be no.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
The application won't submit without one.

OP, you can call and ask the universities if they will consider you with no reference, but as you will see from another thread on this subject from yesterday, the answer will be no.

Hi, sorry to barge in on this thread to ask a question! But do you know what happens if your application is sent off to unis but you put the wrong fee code (02) instead of the NHS fee code (05) for an nhs funded course? Will your application be dismissed? Is there a way to change this somehow? Asking for my sister who likes to leave things last min :s-smilie:
Original post by SophiaLDN
Hi, sorry to barge in on this thread to ask a question! But do you know what happens if your application is sent off to unis but you put the wrong fee code (02) instead of the NHS fee code (05) for an nhs funded course? Will your application be dismissed? Is there a way to change this somehow? Asking for my sister who likes to leave things last min :s-smilie:

Simply call Ucas in the morning and ask them to change it. She won't be the first by a long chalk!
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Simply call Ucas in the morning and ask them to change it. She won't be the first by a long chalk!

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending