Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, when I applied for student finance last year it was based on my partners income from a year or two ago, I can't remember which year it was. Well he has had a massive increase in earnings this year. Will some of my student finance be made to be repaid as his earnings are more? Or will it just go down next year?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

We always look at the earning from the tax year two years prior to the academic year. So earnings in the 14/15 tax year will only be assessed in the 16/17 academic year and so on.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Oh good, I thought it was 2 years ago the income I entered. It's just he's had a substantial income increase this year and my child tax credits will disappear and needs to be repaid I have been told. So nothing for sfe will need to be repaid and next years entitlement will be on last years and this increase in income this year will only affect me in year 3 correct?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Yes that is correct. If he's already given us his earning for the previous year we would have checked these and there would be no need to adjust them. The increase will only effect your student finance in later years.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks. He will earn just over 40k this year, roughly how badly will this hit me in year 3? We have 3 children so I know some adjustment is made there

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The Student Finance Rates for that academic year will not be released until maybe January or February of that year so we couldn't tell you at this time.

You can use the student finance calculator for this year to give you an idea but this will change.

http://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.