Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As a savings account as a kid I had a joint account, between me and one of my parents.

My parents were never exactly great parents. Anyway so they never once payed money to my saving account, however my grandfather did.

Firstly £30 a month, secondly a whole amount of £3000, which was passed to him when someone he knew died. Anyway he passed it to me to spend later in life.

Anyway I've found out that my parents have basically been us using the money my grandfather gave me as there own spending money (for themselves).

I understand a minor cannot pursue legal action to his own guardians, but is there anything I can do? I should add they fully admit to doing it, but have no intention of giving it back, other than potentially in a will (they're late 40s).

So can I do anything? Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Whose name was the account in?

ReputationRep:
    Joint account, Mine and my mothers name

ReputationRep:
    Nothing you can do IMO. If your grandad just transferred the money into a joint account then you'd find it impossible to prove that the money was specifically supposed to be yours.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Agree with Reue - unfortunately a joint account means that anybody who has their name on the account is legally entitled to withdraw the money.

ReputationRep:
    It's not relevant that you're a minor, or that they are your parents, only that the account is joint. The parent named in the joint account can take whatever money they like out of it. All you can do is withdraw any remaining money and pay it into a separate account under your own name.

ReputationRep:
    Impossible to prove that the money was spent on themselves and not on your upbringing and that your grandfather did not intend it to be used in that way unless you get them to sign something. If the money had been left in trust for you in a will you could sue them when you reach 18 but even then if you are still financially dependent on them I wouldnt advise it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that is so sad that this has happened to you. I think the advice the others have given you is right and as it is a joint account there is nothing much you can do. As a last resort you could seek advice from the citizens advice bureau to see if any other options are available to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.