Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll start of by saying that I'm not the best at technology. I never have been and probably never will be. However, I foolishly chose to do a GCSE technology. I do not care about the subject, so if I get a terrible mark I wouldn't feel too bad, but I feel pressured into caring. My teacher goes on about how her students last year all got at least a C grade, but I'm even struggling at that. The exam paper itself is fine, it's the making of the product which I struggle with.

I am currently working on my controlled assessment which is designing a toy for a small constructional toy. We are quite far into the project of making the product, but I haven't really started making it.it. Everyone around me seems to know all the techniques and tips to making their wood the smoothest or whatever whilst I'm stuck with some basic routered out pieces. I have never been taught anything on these subjects, they just expect you to know what's what.

I don't know what any of the tools and equipment are used for, but I really do not want to ask my teacher and make a fool of myself.
    I really need some help. Whether it is just tips or any advice. Please help me.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by cheese200)
    I don't know what any of the tools and equipment are used for, but I really do not want to ask my teacher and make a fool of myself.
    I really need some help. Whether it is just tips or any advice. Please help me.
    Hi and welcome to TSR.

Your problem is all too common and there are plenty of students across the country in the same situation as yourself.

So first thing is to never, ever, ever, ever, think or feel you are making a fool of yourself in asking for help.

Asking for help says you are mature enough to know your limitations and your teacher will only be too pleased that you are taking this seriously.

I will bet anything, there are other people in your class in the same boat and will breath a huge sigh of relief because they need help too!

Your teachers want you to do well and succeed in your exams - it's their job and your success is the whole schools success!

Go back and ask if you can speak to him outside the class if you feel uncomfortable doing it in the workshop with others present.

But, whatever you do, please, please, make him aware that you want to learn and need his help.

Don't hesitate or be shy or wait 'till the next time you are scheduled to see him. Seek him out tomorrow and start yourself on the road to that success. You will be relieved and glad you did. Promise.

Good luck and I'm sure you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Hi and welcome to TSR.

Your problem is all too common and there are plenty of students across the country in the same situation as yourself.

So first thing is to never, ever, ever, ever, think or feel you are making a fool of yourself in asking for help.

Asking for help says you are mature enough to know your limitations and your teacher will only be too pleased that you are taking this seriously.

I will bet anything, there are other people in your class in the same boat and will breath a huge sigh of relief because they need help too!

Your teachers want you to do well and succeed in your exams - it's their job and your success is the whole schools success!

Go back and ask if you can speak to him outside the class if you feel uncomfortable doing it in the workshop with others present.

But, whatever you do, please, please, make him aware that you want to learn and need his help.

Don't hesitate or be shy or wait 'till the next time you are scheduled to see him. Seek him out tomorrow and start yourself on the road to that success. You will be relieved and glad you did. Promise.

Good luck and I'm sure you can do it.
    Thank you! I have technology tomorrow so I will be sure to just ask. I am very shy around anyone. I think I was only hesitant about asking for help because I have left it too late. I really need to buckle down and stay for afterschool classes if I want to get this finished.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.