The Student Room Group

where to learn in london?

I've been putting off learning for a while and as a result I'm 19 and still can't drive! I want to learn before I'm 20 so where would be a good place to learn and don't say "don't learn to drive in london you crazy fool!!" Anyway I'd prefer a driving school preferably in central london as I live near Russell square.

Thanks!
i practiced most my driving in central london, and i found it is good in a lot of ways

the dickhead pedestrains, piece of ****e drivers, the high amount of traffic and narrow roads etc really does help you become more aware as a driver and less considerate of other drivers (which is important because you dont want them pressuring you as you drive). i found that the traffic helps you get better control at the clutch too. all this makes it a relative breeze when you drive in other areas.

i live like 15 minutes away from russell square and most people around me are going to take their tests in barking (goodmayes) so it might be the same for you. initially i practiced driving around wide roads around stepney and went on to roads around poplar, roman road and the a13, now that im closer to my test im practicing more around barking. again i dunno if itll be the same for you.
Original post by goodvibes
I've been putting off learning for a while and as a result I'm 19 and still can't drive! I want to learn before I'm 20 so where would be a good place to learn and don't say "don't learn to drive in london you crazy fool!!" Anyway I'd prefer a driving school preferably in central london as I live near Russell square.

Thanks!

Thats quite a tight area.............what essentially happens is this, you learn the basics at first and drive around a quiet road....since your in Camden, one of the favourites roads to start learning is near what used to be South Camden community school, which is now Regent High School. A lot of instructors take their students there for the first few hours.

After this you tend to drive around home a bit and drive around a bit to get used to things. After this its usually maneuvers and also the instructor should ask you which test centre you want to do your test in. This is because you'll start to drive to the area where the test centre and essentially drive around that area. As you get more into it, you'll start driving some of the test routes, etc

Quick Reply