Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi ! I have recently just firmed my offer for Glasgow uni, its was a conditional offer and my conditions were to attend and pass their summer school program! I was wondering if anyone has done this before, what is it like? Is it hard to pass ? Any help would be great thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMcmillan97)
    Hi ! I have recently just firmed my offer for Glasgow uni, its was a conditional offer and my conditions were to attend and pass their summer school program! I was wondering if anyone has done this before, what is it like? Is it hard to pass ? Any help would be great thanks
    Hi! I recently received a conditional offer for Psychology at Glasgow and my condition was the same. What subject is your offer for?
    I also don't know much about it. I emailed the summer school because unfortunately I already have a holiday booked for the first week of the summer school but they assured me that would be fine in terms of attendance, just difficult for me to catch up. Here's some of the information they gave me that's pretty useful:

"The academic subjects on offer are:

Biology, Business and Management, Chemistry, Computing Studies, Economics, Engineering, English Literature, Film and TV studies, French, Geography, German, History, Mathematics, Philosophy, Physics, Politics, Psychology, Sociology and Spanish.

Students have 8 classes of 2 - 2.5 hours per week altogether. The Study Skills course includes sessions on note-taking, how to prepare for a seminar, how to write a lab report (if you study a science) and how to get the most out of academic texts."

I'm planning to ask a teacher at school on Monday to see if they know more about the assessments and difficulty etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! And I applied for Earth Science I also have a holiday booked but it's for the last week of summer school so I will be okay for attendance aswell thanks for all the information, it is really helpful 👍 so is Glasgow uni your first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, you too! Glad I'm not the one haha

So far I've only gotten offers from Glasgow and Strathclyde (which I don't really want to go to) so I'm not sure but I think it probably will be If Glasgow is your firm then what's your insurance?

Are you a Scottish/English/International student, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes glasgow earth science is my firm and I have aberdeen petroleum geology as my insurance which is unconditional and I'm a scottish student I don't live that far from glasgow! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your unconditional! Me too, I live just outside Glasgow I'm hoping to get offers from Stirling and Edinburgh, and one of those will be my insurance. I'm really unsure just now but I'll see once/if my offers come through!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah best to just wait and see! And oh I'm from cumbernauld, where is it you are from !?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    About 15 min away from Cumbernauld in Chryston

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh cool !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I attended the Glasgow Uni Summer School last year and it is one of the best experiences I've ever had It really helped boost my independence (had to get the bus and subway myself everyday) and I met so many different people. Everyone there was so friendly and everyone just talked to each other haha!

I chose French and English Literature as my subjects and both were so fun and the lecturers were all lovely. As for level of difficulty, I'd say you can make it easier for yourself if you do the homework and study for any tests you may have at the end.

Study Skills is the compulsory subject and the lecturers who teach it are hilarious! You learn how to reference (SO useful and puts you ahead of people going from school to uni), about plagiarism, uni life, exams etc.

In general, it was amazing

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks for the info!! It's sounds sooo good ! I'm sure I'll put in the work too pass aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No problem It really made me realise that I did want to go to uni!
    You have nothing to worry about, you sound very dedicated

ReputationRep:
    I am! I've knew that I wanted to study at glasgow university as soon as I made my course choices! I'm going to do whatever I can to secure my conditional 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is feeling nervous about the summer school, I'm sure it will be of comfort to know that along with passing the summer school I also have to obtain 2 As and a B at higher, as well as a B at advanced higher biology :bricks:. Because I live like 50 miles away I am buzzing to stay in halls (If I make it that far). Blessed to have been given the conditional at all to be honest, but summer school sounds like a great opportunity. Anyone else got any details on it? (Zoology by the way)

ReputationRep:
    Woohooo I'm going to summer school too Applied for 4 things, Theology, Philosophy, English Lit and Politics! Will probably apply for Philosophy and English Lit at summer school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limejews)
    If anyone is feeling nervous about the summer school, I'm sure it will be of comfort to know that along with passing the summer school I also have to obtain 2 As and a B at higher, as well as a B at advanced higher biology :bricks:. Because I live like 50 miles away I am buzzing to stay in halls (If I make it that far). Blessed to have been given the conditional at all to be honest, but summer school sounds like a great opportunity. Anyone else got any details on it? (Zoology by the way)
    I'm sure you will get those grades and get to summer school! And yes I agree, I think it will be a great opportunity to meet new people before uni starts but also to help ease us into the way of things I hope to see you all there 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMcmillan97)
    Congrats! And I applied for Earth Science I also have a holiday booked but it's for the last week of summer school so I will be okay for attendance aswell thanks for all the information, it is really helpful so is Glasgow uni your first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You will love Earth Sci at Glasgow, its a cracking course, lecturers are fantastic also.

ReputationRep:
    Did you know many people that failed any of their classes? I'm waiting for results now, I met the attendance requirement and handed in all assignments but i don't know if i did well enough. Stressing out basically.

ReputationRep:
    Really nervous and excited about it. Just got my conditional to study English lit and film next year. Does anybody know how many subjects you have to enroll in for the summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calz99)
    Really nervous and excited about it. Just got my conditional to study English lit and film next year. Does anybody know how many subjects you have to enroll in for the summer?
    Congrats! I just received a conditional too for English Language and Philosophy, you have to choose two for the summer as well as the online skills thing, which sounds pretty useful
    It does sound a bit scary at first but also very exciting

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.